Skip to main content
Topic: I think I've been hacked (Read 3473 times) previous topic - next topic

I think I've been hacked

I was browsing eBay on my iPhone and found some lers I wanted to buy. the seller is Summit Racing. they had a "buy it now" option so I clicked on it. entered "2" for quantity then went through all the checkout processes. this was around 12pm yesterday.

at about 7pm yesterday, I get an email saying "you've won the item". I was like "WTF?!" I go to my computer, login to eBay, and sure enough somehow I purchased TWO more lers. I replied back to the email I got stating that this had to be some type of glitch or error. I only purchased two lers (not four), and clicked "buy it now" one time. I bought nothing else after that.

as soon as I sit back down on the couch, I get another email stating "I've won the auction" "WTF?!x1000". looked on my account again there shows TWO more lers.

since it's the weekend I can't talk to anybody on the phone. I chatted online with eBay and they were no help. just told me to contact the seller and ask to retract my "bids". but then they could file an unpaid item case on me and/or leave negative feedback.

I have a perfect feedback score, and need to know how something like this has happened. I use AVG for virus protection and use Firefox as my browser. never has anything like this happened to me. and I can't find any other people this has happened to from a google search.

I will be calling summit and eBay Monday, but I can't help but feel very frustrated til then. hopefully they can remove those "bids" and I won't have to shell out an add'l $300.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

I think I've been hacked

Reply #1
You don't need to worry about feedback. eBay no longer allows sellers to leave feedback.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

I think I've been hacked

Reply #2
they already left feedback for the lers I paid for. I don't think sellers can leave "negative" feedback.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

I think I've been hacked

Reply #3
Yes, that's it, they can't leave negative (or neutral). What's more, they can't even leave a negative sounding positive. If they do you can have it removed. This, BTW, is one of the reasons I HATE ebay now...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

I think I've been hacked

Reply #4
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;310149

I have a perfect feedback score, and need to know how something like this has happened. I use AVG for virus protection and use Firefox as my browser. never has anything like this happened to me. and I can't find any other people this has happened to from a google search.

what does that matter with you using your iphone to make the purchase exactly? that has nothing to do with what i think actually happened here.
what you did was you got scammed when you replied to the phoney "you've won the item" email. go back and check that email very carefully. did you email(or message) the seller directly thru the posting yet?
check ebay scams and read up some on this perticular scam.

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;310175
Yes, that's it, they can't leave negative (or neutral). What's more, they can't even leave a negative sounding positive. If they do you can have it removed. This, BTW, is one of the reasons I HATE ebay now...

i just flat out hate ebay and ive been on it since '00 :toilet:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

I think I've been hacked

Reply #5
Quote from: Ductape91;310176
what does that matter with you using your iphone to make the purchase exactly? that has nothing to do with what i think actually happened here.
what you did was you got scammed when you replied to the phoney "you've won the item" email. go back and check that email very carefully. did you email(or message) the seller directly thru the posting yet?
check ebay scams and read up some on this perticular scam.

i just flat out hate ebay and ive been on it since '00 :toilet:

for one, you're a complete tool.

2nd, try reading my post again. my emails are sent to my phone. I never clicked a link to a site and proceeded to type in my login info. That's when you get scammed. I checked the email on my phone THEN went to my computer and verified that somehow I did buy 4 more lers.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

I think I've been hacked

Reply #6
I'm not 100% clear , Did you do the initial purchase from your phone ?
If so it is possible that you were hacked, and that sir ,would suck
 I hope you get it all straightened out
Fox-less at the moment

I think I've been hacked

Reply #7
If you were charged through a credit card, call your credit card company IMMEDIATELY and notify the of the situation and demand they refuse payment.  I had a similar situation a few years ago.  I used the card in a store and the item was charged to the card 3 times within a 10 minute span.  It was one of the few times a credit card company was helpful to me....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

I think I've been hacked

Reply #8
nice screeny of the iphone on t-mobile lol..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think I've been hacked

Reply #9
Quote from: V8Demon;310186
If you were charged through a credit card, call your credit card company IMMEDIATELY and notify the of the situation and demand they refuse payment.  I had a similar situation a few years ago.  I used the card in a store and the item was charged to the card 3 times within a 10 minute span.  It was one of the few times a credit card company was helpful to me....

I've had that happen too, but this isn't the case. this is basically saying I ordered these, but in reality I didn't and they want payment. I have not been charged. I think it was a glitch in ebay's system or my phone.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

I think I've been hacked

Reply #10
I'd contact Summit directly and ask what the deal is, but you already knew that. 

Call the credit card company anyway and alert them to the situation.  They may be able to stop future billings.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

I think I've been hacked

Reply #11
no need to get offended, i aint the one that tried to steal your money :raspberry

Quote from: 32VFoxBird;310149
I was browsing eBay on my iPhone and found some lers I wanted to buy. the seller is Summit Racing. they had a "buy it now" option so I clicked on it. entered "2" for quantity then went through all the checkout processes. this was around 12pm yesterday.

at about 7pm yesterday, I get an email saying "you've won the item". I was like "WTF?!" I go to my computer, login to eBay, and sure enough somehow I purchased TWO more lers. I replied back to the email I got stating that this had to be some type of glitch or error. I only purchased two lers (not four), and clicked "buy it now" one time. I bought nothing else after that.

so... you made the initial purchase on your iphone, like i said.

you then when onto the computer and checked onto the status of your non-purchases by loging in thru the EMAIL you recieved instead of going thru the posted ad you purchased the lers from, right?
what exactly did i miss ?
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

I think I've been hacked

Reply #12
I was thinking about this this morning and I have come to the conclusion that it's highly unlikely that you were hacked. I say this because generally, when people's accounts get hacked, the hacked accounts are used to either sell high ticket items (such as laptops, PS3's, etc that don't exist - the buyer pays for the item and the hacker runs away with the money, leaving you to deal with the mess) or they buy a high ticket item and pay with a stolen credit card, then run away with the item and leave the credit card holder to  deal with the mess, who then does a chargeback and the seller gets scammed. It's not very likely that a hacker would simply continue making purchases that you made of items that would be of little use (or little value) to the hacker.

More likely I'd say it's a glitch with eBay's checkout system. Another possibility is that if you did buy through your iPhone, T-Mobile may have re-sent the data packets that contained the purchase data...

I think I've been hacked

Reply #13
When it happened to us, they bought some normal stuff that we would usually buy to test the waters, then they went for the big ticket item when they got away with the first couple transactions. the card co actually found it before we did, because it wasn't in the algorithm of our past purchases.
They also immediately canceled our card when we went on vacation, and started using it to buy random things.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

I think I've been hacked

Reply #14
And I forgot. It happened through Ebay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook