Skip to main content
Topic: Heater Hose Fitting for 5.0 CFI Intake Manifold (Read 689 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater Hose Fitting for 5.0 CFI Intake Manifold

Looking for a heater hose fitting that installs into the intake manifold on a 1984 model 5.0 CFI engine.  This fitting can accommodate a heater hose and a coolant temperature sensor.  Seems like this fitting was only included with the OEM intake manifold.  I cannot find a part number for the fitting and new aftermarket fittings are not available.  Any sources out there for a used fitting? Thanks!
1984 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0 CFI

Re: Heater Hose Fitting for 5.0 CFI Intake Manifold

Reply #1
Looking for a heater hose fitting that installs into the intake manifold on a 1984 model 5.0 CFI engine.  This fitting can accommodate a heater hose and a coolant temperature sensor.  Seems like this fitting was only included with the OEM intake manifold.  I cannot find a part number for the fitting and new aftermarket fittings are not available.  Any sources out there for a used fitting? Thanks!

I cant say for certain but searching around says that part isnt made by anybody, was CFI specific and only the 90° ones without a temp sensor hole are available.
The later v6 cars had something similar looking with a hose barb and a hole for a sensor but i have no idea if the size/threads are the same to fit into the intake manifold.
You might need to head to a junkyard if nobody has one.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #2
I did a lot of research online, and there is no part number for this fitting.  I think it was only included with an OEM intake manifold.  I checked some of the aftermarket intake manifolds available, but none of them include the fitting.  Wrecking yard might be an option, but it will be tough to find early 1980s Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns in a local wrecking yard now. I think Ford only made the CFI engine for 2-3 years before going to EFI. Probably have to check some of the classic car wrecking yards online.  Or maybe repair the damaged one that's on the car...  Thanks!

Reply #3
If nobody here has one they want to part with and the junkyard doesnt have one, provided you have the means you could try drilling and tapping a 5.0 90° one to fit the sensor since they are cheap and available as a kit. Kinda strange nobody would sell them if thats all there is between the efi and cfi one is a tapped hole in it.
They had the sensor hole both on the side or on top so i dont think placement is an issue.

Reply #4
Not sure but think I may have one, but will have to check tomorow to be certain. I'll take a pic of what I have and try to post it up tomorow.

Edit to add:. The one I have has the sensor straight up coming out of the top. Took a pic but had forgotten this site requires a URL to upload pics, which I'm not doing, so sorry no pic.

Reply #5
Is there not another coolant port on the intake anywhere you could put it in?   The CTS, that is.
Mike

Reply #6
Check the brass fittings at your hardware store. You may find something you can cobble together that will work.

Reply #7
I went to a few wrecking yards to find the 5.0 CFI heater hose fitting, but I could not find one.  Decided to go to a hardware store to see if I could build my own heater hose fitting.  Found a few basic plumbing parts that should work:

3/8" Tee-pipe fitting
3/8" pipe nipple
1/2" to 3/8" hex bushing
3/8" hose fitting

Not the best looking fitting for an engine, but a good temporary fix.  Something that can be used until I can find the original heater hose fitting...

Reply #8
Has anyone tried the heater hose fitting for a ford ranger to replace this fitting?
Looks of similar style but i cant get the thread type or sizes of it.