Skip to main content
Topic: 88-93 V-6 (Read 2650 times) previous topic - next topic

88-93 V-6

I was looking around on http://www.fordfuelinjection.com about the computers and I was wondering if I were to put say a 92 3.8 in my car, would the computer I have now work with it? On the site it says that the computers from 84 up till 94 were the eec 4. When my motor goes I want to put a newer v-6 in and just wondering what I would need.

Re: 88-93 V-6

Reply #1
I think the computers are the same for the 83-87, with the 88 computer debuting with the new 3.8 in 1988. 

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #2
If I have to do rewiring to put in a newer V6 then I don't think it is worth it. If I am going to do some rewiring it will be for a V8.

Reply #3
The wiring to swap to a port inj 3.8 would be roughly the same as swapping to a 5.0.

Possibly you could use your original intake on the new engine(but I'm doubting it), and use all the original wiring and EEC. Since the newer engines have the injectors in the heads, I don't know if the if the early intake will even fit(sorry I avoid 3.8s like the plague). At the least, you would have to plug the injector ports.

Reply #4
i cant remember off the top of my head, but i believe the newer 3.8L has different EGR ports in the heads and intake manifolds, so youd have to use your stock heads and stock intake manifold, basically making swapping to a new 3.8L useless

if you wanted an 88+, youd need the computer, wiring harness, all the bracketry and whatnot in the engine compartment, not worth it for a 3.8 IMO
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Not worth it, remember it will always have the wrong number of cylinders...

Reply #6
Quote from: Sancho
Not worth it, remember it will always have the wrong number of cylinders...

Heh.. the people at Fordsix.com would rip you a new one for a statement like that.

I'd have to side with them on that one. Performance is performance, whether it has 4, 5, 6, or 8 cylinders.. or in Mazda's case, none at all. V8 eliteism gets annoying after awhile.. just like every other form of eliteism.

Reply #7
i love the 3.8L, id love to build one, but if youre going for performance, on a budget, and are doing a swap like that, a 3.8L is too much money, yeah, a 3.8 can build power, a 3.8 can run 10's, a 3.8 could outrun a LS1, but the cost of it all isnt worth it

guys will spend 8,000 dollars in mods alone, and run 12's, spend 5,000 in mods, including suspension, gears etc., run 12s on a 5.0...that what made me make my decision
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
If I had to do it all over again, I'd still build a V-6.

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #9
chris,
you know what i like about rebuilds?
the installation.
when you pull , you get dirty
when you install, its a clean job and yours is an example.

I always wonder why the heck did someone ever have a reason for getting dirty while putting a motor in.  If you did it right, you could wear your sunday best and install your engine.

Reply #10
Hey, I have been wrenching on the v6 for a long time :) .  I actually am a member at a number of sixbanger boards.  I had big plans once for my six that involved a good bit of nitrous coming from a little blue bottle, boltons etc etc.  When I finally stepped back and saw how much I had worked to get a second off my quarter mile, I was proud, but at the same time I was dissappointed.  I went a long way with my six but it gets to a point where you have to make a decision to either spend a LOT of money to be quicker or buy a car that is a better starting point from the get go.  Being the college student that I am, and therefore poor, I went the cheaper route and bought another car.  Dont think this is v8 elitism, I bought a 4 cyl :P  I didn't say 2 few cylinders. Dont get me wrong my sixbanger is fun to drive and I am glad of the work I have done to it, it is a well handling little car but not fast by any stretch.