Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Not Getting Data! Please Help!  (Read 1446 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Not Getting Data! Please Help!

I recently got down to business fixing my full digital dash. Last year I replaced the speedo bulb cause it blew and went dark, and everything since then has been fine. Since today. All of sudden my speedo is not completely dark but is more dull then the other parts of the cluster. Checked the bulbs and they were fine. So while it was out i decided to do the 199 mph speedo mod and that went smoothly. I plugged it back in, and the speedo is still dull and now the whole right side of my dash doesnt have any readings. The right side is the one with the miles to empty and stuff. Its lit up but nothing shows up. The wiring seems ok and everythings plugged in. However, the voltage tape stuff that runs from the speedo to the right part of the dash is crimped and partially coming apart. Do you guys think this could cause the issue or is it something else?   I also replaced two of my fuses cause someone put the wrong ones in them. And all the fuses seem fine cause everything in the car is working fine besides the one part of the dash. Sorry for the long post but I really want to figure out this issue!
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Re: Dash Not Getting Data! Please Help!

Reply #1
Can you post a pic of the "voltage tape stuff" ?
Which fuses were wrong and what was wrong with them?

Reply #2
Here are 2 pics of the voltage tape stuff. I belive it's called flex cable? In the 2nd pic, the arrow points to where the cable is starting to separate. I replaced the fuses that i circled in the pic. I saw in the owners manual that they are supposed to be 15, but for whatever reason there was a 10 and a 20 in those spots.
1986 Thunderbird original 5.0, butterfly window car. Two-tone Medium Grey and Silver Metallic Clearcoat paint with red pin-striping. A couple mods so far...with lots to come.

Reply #3
Looks like that ribbon cable has a blown out circuit.

Reply #4
Fuse 17, one of the fuses you said had been replaced with the wrong size, supplies the power for the cluster LED (Data) display.
Except for when the headlights are on. The cluster illumination relay then switches the power source to the headlight switch dimmer control.
Check to see if the LEDs light-up with the headlights on.

Reply #5
Thanks for the suggestion and I tried it out today, but to no avail. I think what I'll do now is take the dash to an electronics place to replace the flex cable that leads to the right side of the dash. I would attept to probably do it myself, but I feel like an electronics place would know better what to do. Plus I have no idea where to find this kind of flex cable.

Reply #6
UPDATE: After taking my dash to a reputable dash repair-man, I have no results. My third pod is still not getting any data, it's all blank and only the lights behind it work. I'm gonna contact the guy again and see if he can do anything more, but if you guys have any suggestions, shoot me something! I just spent 150 bucks with no results.

Reply #7
That totally sucks.  Good luck.  Can you get another used cluster and swap it in?
Mike

Reply #8
I second the swap for another cluster. Chances are slim that you'll get a good, used flexible PCB for your existing cluster so it might be easier to try for an entirely different cluster instead. You can always swap your speedo over to keep your odometer correct. Just a thought.

Reply #9
Yeah I'm afraid I might have to do that. I just didn't want the trouble of actually finding another one since they're pretty rare and kind of expensive to buy one. I've seen a couple on eBay awhile ago. But at this point it might be the cheapeat option as taking it back might cost another 150, who knows. And the speedo switching is a good idea, thanks, I was wondering if I could do that.

Reply #10
Someone on here I'm sure has a digital gauge cluster to sell you.  I would be surprised if not.
Mike