Skip to main content
Topic: SHO swap into Fox, one step closer (Read 22726 times) previous topic - next topic

SHO swap into Fox, one step closer

Reply #15
The crank-to-block offsets are different between the two blocks.  The plate helps take up that difference.  I had to use some sort of plate anyway to mate the two together, and the thickness of the adapter now puts the bellhousing in the same relation to the SHO block as it would be to the 5.0 block, which also will put the flywheel in the correct orientation to everything as well.

My original design was thicker than this, but then I realized the offset difference and modified accordingly to avoid having to space the flywheel away from the crank.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #16
So this will alow you to use the stock cable clutch setup?
One 88

Reply #17
Yup....it will be 5.0 from the flywheel back....clutch and all.

I have to convert the car BACK from hydraulic (converted it when I did the C5 to T-5 swap way back when.....) but that's a non-issue.

Reply #18
Now that flywheel perks my interest.  Looks like an 8 bolt crank, the 5.0 being a six.  Are you going to have the holes welded up and redrilled?  Or just a new custom unit?  Looks like a completely off the wall pilot bearing will have to be made.
One 88

Reply #19
For now I'm going to weld up and redrill and have the unit 0-balanced.

I could get a custom AL one...but I'm not looking to spend almost $400 on a just a flywheel right now.

The pilot bearing will be easy.  I'll just make an insert and use the appropriate pilot bearing.

Reply #20
Maybe it's too late but the Tempo GLS v6 had the same tranny minus a small issue with the clutch but I believe it was just the input shaft mated to a Tempo/Topaz tranny didn't match the other perfectly, also I believe the mazda 626 had the same tranny as I believe it was a mazda design to begin with.  I believe your looking for the MTX IV.

Reply #21
Quote from: sscobrapride
Maybe it's too late but the Tempo GLS v6 had the same tranny minus a small issue with the clutch but I believe it was just the input shaft mated to a Tempo/Topaz tranny didn't match the other perfectly, also I believe the mazda 626 had the same tranny as I believe it was a mazda design to begin with.  I believe your looking for the MTX IV.

Huh?

Not sure what you're on about here.

I'm looking to drive the correct wheels on the car...not the fronts.....

Reply #22
You have a Pm chuck.
One 88

Reply #23
That's dang cool man.  That kind of thing certainly makes a simple HO swap look like childs play. 

I wouldn't mind doing the opposite.  Put the 5.0 HO and t-5 drive train into the SHO.  It wouldn't benefit power but it would be more reliable and I like rear wheel drive, like big fast cars should be.  Maybe in about 10 years when I'm done with my t-bird I'll start on that.  I suppose there would be a lot of cutting to do it, but I think it would be awesome.

Reply #24
Do a google search for v8 focus,  that taurus v8 swap may be easier than you think.  They don't do it but the company shows how to do a focus, i would think a taurus would be easier.
One 88

Reply #25
There was an article in MM&FF awhile back, about a company that has kits for a rear drive Focus, after readin' it, I want one soooo  bad it ain't funny...
Can you imagine a Focus with a FI 351W?
The look on camaro drivers' faces would be awesome as you left them in the dust and tire smoke...okay, back to reality...
Kugel Komponents makes the kit, or sells it, anyway.
here's a link: http://www.ford-v8-focus.com/
here's a shot of the motor:http://www.ford-v8-focus.com/1.JPG
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #26
Hey Chuck! I've been saving my SHO to put an AWD Aerostar set-up in it, but now I think I'll chop it up and throw it in the Coug, you !!! :D:D:D

Reply #27
Meh...
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #28
Quote from: jkirchman
Meh...
:rollin:

touche!