Skip to main content
Topic: 86 cougar 351w swap... (Read 23419 times) previous topic - next topic

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #30
Looks like i'm going to have to find some sn-95 sway bar brackets; bars alittle too close to the oil pan for my taste.....
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #31
I made some spacer for my Tbird brackets and then cut and shorten the end links, so the sway bar is parallel to the ground

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #32
83tb, looks like that's what i'm going to have to do; my bracket is the same size as the sn-95's. Just have to do some measurements and find some material to make the spacer out of.
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #33
Well my new ignition module just took a . so i'm ordering a Proform Street/Strip HEI Distributor 66983B and be done with that !
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #34
Will BBK 1569 Chrome 1-3/4" Full-Length Exhaust Header for Ford Mustang 351 Swap C-4/C-6 fit my 86' cougar?
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #35
Straight off BBK's website:

Q. The Long Tube Header system states that it is for Manual transmissions only. Why won't it work on my Automatic?
(part numbers affected include: 1532, 15320, 1533, 15330, 1541, 15410, 1516, 15160, 1519, 15190, 1594, 15940, [COLOR="#FF0000"]1569[/COLOR], 15690)

A. The Automatic transmissions are much larger than their manual counterparts. This greatly affects the already-small amount of passage space there is for the larger piping required to fit passed this area. There is also the linkage to worry about; the automatic transmission has linkage on the side that the pipes could interfere with, not allowing you to shift properly through the range. You very well might be able to get them to work on an automatic-equipped car. However, we don't advertise it, as it is not a "direct bolt-on." Fitting them to an automatic car requires some grinding of the transmission and bell housing, as well as some modification to the pipes. Since making them work on an automatic requires modification to the part, BBK will not warranty the fitment nor the piece that was modified, and thus they are advertised as a direct fit for manual transmissions only. Fitting them to an automatic car unfortunately becomes a custom application, though we know that many customers have adapted them to fit, and are happy with the performance gains of their new long tubes.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #36
I was just very curious because i found this on the bbk website:
                                                                                                                                                                           These High Performance BBK Full Length Exhaust Headers will give you much improved airflow, more horsepower and improved performance.

For nearly 20 years Mustang enthusiasts have made BBK CNC-Series Long Tube Mustang exhaust headers the number one choice for their Performance Mustangs and now they fit automatics!

Each BBK Long Tube Exhaust header system is CAD designed and manufactured with 1 5/8" CNC mandrel bent tubing and a 3" collector with a leak-free ball and socket (dome) style collector for unrestricted airflow and a one piece 3/8" laser cut exhaust  for added strength and durability. All BBK Long tubes are pressure tested to ensure trouble-free performance.

Each BBK Mustang Long Tube header system has been designed and dyno tested at the BBK headquarters in Southern California for Maximimum performance. Results have shown an additional 15-20 rear wheel horsepower over stock.

BBK’s Mustang long tube exhaust headers are recommended for built engines and high performance applications. They offer BBK’s distinctive quality that guarantees many years of top performance. They are available in our standard chrome finish with optional high-temp silver polished ceramic coating.

All BBK header kits include new gaskets and hardware.

*BBK Long Tubes for Automatic require a BBK short X pipe part #1811 to complete installation to the cat-back exhaust system

NOTE: These headers fit with OEM automatic transmission.
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #37
And just was not sure after i seen this on the bbk website: *BBK full length headers require a BBK short X pipe or H pipe to complete installation to the cat-back exhaust system- see recommended additional parts
*BBK full length headers fit 5 or 6 speed manual transmissions and C-4/C-6 automatics, but do not fit with AOD/AODE automatics.
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #38
Call 'em and tell them their website troll is confusing the masses and we want some clarity on this issue. Throw in some kind words and they will most likely tell you that they will not fit an AOD trans.

I called my buddy who owned an exhaust shop and he said they will fit if you are willing to heat them and "adjust" them. I know MAC makes a set that will clear the AOD but their headers are for shiznit as they have individual s at the cylinder head and after they have heat cycled it's about impossible to get them to line up again much less seal. Do some trolling around on the Mustang sites and I am sure this has been raked over the coals a few times.

Darren

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #39
Thanks aerocoupe, i will give them a call tomorrow.
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #40
Talked to wayne at bbkperformance and part#1569 79-93 - 351 SWAP 1-3/4" Full Length headers will fit our 351w with t-5, c-4 or c-6 combo. Wayne said that the c-4 has a small bellhousing than the t-5 and the fitment is better with the c-4 as far as clearance.
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #41
So basically the C6 and AOD are most likely going to need some tweaks to the headers to make them clear?  I am not a betting man but my guess is you will have to but BBK headers are really good especially the primary  that bolts to the heads is nice and thick so it never loses shape.  Be sure to get a carbide bit and work over the welds in the ID of the primaries where they are welded to the  as mine were not all that good.  I showed some of it on this thread, scroll down to post #22:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?34313-Porting-the-Edelbrocks-Heads-and-Lower-Intake/page3

Darren

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #42
Finally switch the fuel sender unit from efi to carb. Had a hard time trying to find a carb fuel sender unit that would fit the tank tho...
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #43
It's a new year, time to get back on it!! Installing the last three gauges this weekend....
How fast is fast?

86 cougar 351w swap...

Reply #44
Just got my Innovate Motorsports Wideband Gauge Kit with datalogger today. The kit i got just let me monitor the air/fuel, map and rpm. Is this all i need to get started tuning or do i need more parameter to start tuning?X
How fast is fast?