Skip to main content
Topic: 88 thunderbird turbo coupe (Read 11304 times) previous topic - next topic

88 thunderbird turbo coupe

i am transplanting a 5.0 in what used to be a 2.3 turbo and just for everyones info you have to change the k member if you use the v8 t-bird stuff it sets motor uo to high

Reply #1

?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
X 351 Windsor performer intake stock 87 turbo coupe K member and the hood closes no adjustment Why would you change the k member
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #3
Quote from: ronnieburd69;353759
i am transplanting a 5.0 in what used to be a 2.3 turbo and just for everyones info you have to change the k member if you use the v8 t-bird stuff it sets motor uo to high

Funny, there's a buncha guys with swapped in 5.0/5.8, 429/460 engines who will call bullshiznit on that.

The ke member are all the same, '86 through '88, regardless of engine, in Tbirds/Cougars. Anybody that told you different has an advanced case of rectal-cranio inversion.

The only gain you MAY get with swapping in a Stang K member is the availability of aftermarket mounts, but even that's pretty well wasted time since Chuck sells V8 conversion mounts for '86-'88 k-member cars.

I'm not exactly sure, but I seem to recall CWE mounts enabling the engine to be a tiny bit lower than the stock stuff. Might contact him for sure though.

Again, to reiterate: ALL '86-'88 2.3, 3.8, and 5.0 engine cars share one common k member.
Remember that also certain year k member swaps will also require different control arms to keep front end geometry intact...there's a detailed thread in the suspension subforum about that.

Now, what is the problem with the engine being too high? Carb motor, or fuel injection? If carb, what intake, carb, and what size air cleaner are you running?

There's a fella here with a 460 under a stock, uncut hood without clearance issues...as well as a guy with a Caddy 500" engine, but I can't recall if he modded his hood or not...

Search is a handy tool... good luck.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
Thats funny I currently have a 5.0 in my bird stock K with stock V8 Bird Mounts. I did remove all of the air dam stuff underneath the hood. I think the air dam would hit the motor if not removed but not sure I removed all of that before I put the hood back on.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #5
AFAIK the only FOX K-member that has to be swapped for a 302 or 351W to fit is the I6 K-member. A 302 or 351W bolts right into and FOX that originally came with a 2.3, 3.8, or 302 with the correct mounts.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Y'all keep changing them motors in T/C's to 5.0 and there won't be many 2.3L Turbos left. Yes it will make my car more rare but I prefer to see them with the 4 cyl turbo as they were made. Oh well, to each his own. I know, put twin turbos on it and it still will be a turbo coupe!!!
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe- Gillis, 17 PSI, Tripminder
All stock, Showing and driving to peak interest in our cars.

Runnin' Strong & Flyin' Fast:birdsmily:

Reply #7
Well I for one will be putting serious thought into a v6 swap for my turbo coupe once ford decides to offer the ecoboost crate with a standalone
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #8
Quote from: ronnieburd69;353759

Then you did it wrong.  Your 88TC K-member is the same one as used in the 88 5.0.  Actually the only part of the motor mounts that's even different are the pieces that bolt to the engine.  The isolator, and the lower U-bracket are the same across all engines.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #9
Hum wonder why he hasn't replied to his thread yet
87 TC

Reply #10
I did the 5.8L swap in my Sport. Same K member as the TC. No issues here. I guess I should have wasted my time installing the Fox mustang K member in my Bird to do the engine swap.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #11
Quote from: bigbada1;353842
Well I for one will be putting serious thought into a v6 swap for my turbo coupe once ford decides to offer the ecoboost crate with a standalone

I agree, I have an 87 T/C that I am waiting for the Ecoboost V6 out of a Truck. I want to transplant the entire drivetrain into it. I think it would make an economical and extremely quick and fast car!
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe- Gillis, 17 PSI, Tripminder
All stock, Showing and driving to peak interest in our cars.

Runnin' Strong & Flyin' Fast:birdsmily:

Reply #12
I bet that ecoboost truck engine wont fit the engine bay of the Thunderbird. I replaced an ecoboost engine in a truck a few months ago. It is a very wide engine with the twin dryers on it. Plus it is a very tall engine too. It would need a lot of fab work from the exhaust to intake. Then trying to get the electronics to work with the engine and car. Nothing is simple with these engines.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #13
Any newer Dual over head cam...is a packaging nightmare...the heads are so freakin big..

Travis

Reply #14
Quote from: turbotrav;414907
Any newer Dual over head cam...is a packaging nightmare...the heads are so freakin big..

Travis

Agreed...

If I'd known more about the LS Chevy there'd probably be one under the hood of my TC now... About a year ago a friend sold a wrecked 6.0 van(even still sort of drivable but frame was bent) with less than 30K on it for $1000, oh well hind sight is 20-20...

Oh yeah to the OP, here's another TC that's had a 5.0 since '99 using the original K member(see link under pict)... All that's necessary is the 5.0 mounts for a '86-'88 Bird/Coug, no earlier or Stang mount is going to work...