Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 Split port swap carb conversion complete! Now with Pics! (Read 14589 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 Split port swap carb conversion complete! Now with Pics!

Reply #30
No they just wanted the minivan mommas to whoop on the v6 mustang punks.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #31
Quote from: Bruce M;283541
I beleave it has the same bellhouse bolt pattarn as the SB V8. I would switch to a better trany like a C4, AOD, or T5. I dont know anything about C5s but they do make alot of upgrades for the tranys I listed. I have a AOD that needs rebuilt, you can have it if you pick it up.

A c5 IS a c4, but with a lockup converter (which is good for a driver) and metric fasteners.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #32
86TBuzzard - Did you end up with 3.73's from the factory, or do you stock car race?

Bruce M - My previous research indicates that you are correct, it is a Smallblock V8 bolt pattern. Also, I appreciate your offer of the AOD, but I don't believe I'll be making it out to the east coast anytime soon.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #33
you do need a few things that would help like
 3:73 gears with limited slip
mac longtube headers(look under 99-03 mustang)  and exhaust
then that would make a difference. if you go to a salvage yard look for a aerostar van with a 7.5 rear end. they have 3:73 and 4:10 gears from the factory they will fit your tbird.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

Reply #34
Wish I had known the Aerostar's rearend was 7.5, I would have grabbed the gears when I pulled the driveshaft last time I was at the yard. I have a 7.5 Trac-Loc rearend out of a stang already. Bummer that I can't just swap the whole rear end into the bird, but I believe there are various length differences involved.

Already have 2 1/4" Dual Pipe exhaust w/ Hiflow Cat, can't get dual cats due to emissions regulations.

I'm not sure the longtubes would give me all that much unless I  A) Put a blower on it, or B)Did a port job on it. The Factory shorty headers are pretty spiff already.

But really, I believe the 5-Speed would be the best overall upgrade.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #35
I am pretty sure the mustang stuff is the same length as your car as far as the axle goes.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #36
Additional Info:79-93 Mustang 7.5" axle

Reply #37
Quote from: Haystack;287271
I am pretty sure the mustang stuff is the same length as your car as far as the axle goes.

First, CLARIFY yourself.  "Axle" can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.  To some it's an entire loaded rear end, to others it's just a housing, while to others it's just an axle.

There is SO much "pretty sure" and "I think" info floating around about this subject that we even have 3 sticky threads on it in the Driveline section of this forum, with multiple others from folks who asked before looking.

If you aren't positive, don't guess.  Better yet, use the resources we already have here on the site to check yourself.

Your response is only 1/3 correct.  ONLY the rear axle HOUSING on his '83 is the same width as the Fox Mustang stuff.

Sorry, but patience is thin these days.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #38
I apologize chuck. I was going to dig deeper into it and edit my post, but I forgot to come back to it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #39
I had forgotten this existed. What were your driving impressions once you got the carb sorted out?

From other threads, looks like you're also putting a T-5 in it?

Reply #40
He has already installed the T-5 lol read his sig
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #41
Ah, I removed sigs many moons ago because I got tired of looking at all the  in 'em :)

Reply #42
Quote from: JeremyB;433458
I had forgotten this existed. What were your driving impressions once you got the carb sorted out?

From other threads, looks like you're also putting a T-5 in it?

Wowzers! Dead threads alive!  I enjoyed the  out of it when it was running right(Distributor issues). She pulls like crazy through most of the gears with 3.73's. She was a bit of a dog in 5th, but that was from the runners being so short, there was just a giant open plenum, so basically no torque. Ok, minimal torque.

That is one of the reasons I'm installing EFI back on the motor, is because I don't feel like building a real intake manifold for it to get some of that back. I'm using a truck manifold for this go-round, and it is a torque monster.(Should be, anyway)

P.S. here's the sig line... 1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #43
Your using the F-150 4.2 intake then?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #44
Yup.  :)