Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8 Split port swap carb conversion complete! Now with Pics! (Read 14581 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8 Split port swap carb conversion complete! Now with Pics!

Hey, just wanted to let you all know there is a thunderbird out there running and driving around with a 3.8SP out of a 2003 mustang with a 4bbl on it, 3G swap, Electric fan, etc.  It ONLY took me about 8 months to get it done.  :)
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #1
:ttiwwp:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
X2 :beatyoass:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
So, have ya ever given a thought to the 4.2 internals...?

And pics X3! ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
I'd be more interested if it was kept EFI, but interesting none the less. ;)

Post up some pics.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Pics pics pics!

Reply #5
Doh! I knew I was forgetting something. Now, I know what you're all gonna say, "Your paint sucks"
 "Why'd you cut a great big hole in the hood?"
"Why is your engine bay so dirty?!" and
"Why isn't that scoop attached properly?".
---So, the paint is bad because the previous owner gave it a cheap paint job, and I have not fixed it yet,
there's a great big hole in the hood for the ginormous aircleaner that sits at a goofy angle,
the engine bay only LOOKS dirty because the paint is worn off,
and the scoop isn't attached, because, well, I've just spent 8 months getting the motor to work and I have not gotten that far yet. So there.;)
The gauge panel pictured is CNC'd aluminum :)
--As far as the internals go, I'm just happy she runs right now. When time and finances allow, I will be upgrading the motor further, definitely stroking it out, possibly adding a blower. So, without further ado, here's your pictures:
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

And also...

Reply #6
Check out the purdy 3G alternator.  :) Thanks to JeremyB and everyone else who contributed to the Alternator swap threads!

Reply #7
Thats pretty cool. What intake is that?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #8
That would be a Morana V6 Racing 2pc 4bbl special. Has anybody noticed that the EGR is still hooked up? She did fly through emissions earlier this month.
Also, does anybody have a preference on Spark plug wires? She needs a new set, and there are just so many choices!
Also, the electric fan out of an '01 Mustang is LOUD!

Reply #9
I like Autolite pro series wires. Nice intake. I almost swaped a 3.8 into my old ranger. It had H-beam rods, ross pistons, compcam, and ported heads. It dynoed 300 horses on our engine dyno with that intake and a 570cfm street avenger holley. We built it for someone and the guy never picked it up. My boss told me I could have it but I didnt feel like getting into a big project and I couldnt park my DD long enough for the install.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #10
It was one of the split port motors? Built and free? And you turned it down!?:D

Well, it definitely took some modifications to make it work, as I reused my front end accessories.

Reply #11
That is really cool. Hows the butt dtno?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Is the bottom part of that intake a stock Ford piece, or is it a custom casting? I'm just wondering why, if it's a custom casting, would Morano Racing bother with a two-piece design instead of a traditional dual or single plane intake...

Reply #13
Did you put '83-'87 accessories on a 2003 block?

Reply #14
Haystack  --    That is really cool. Hows the butt dtno?

I like to think so.
The dyno reads "Fun!" But I do need to make improvements to the rest of the drivetrain to take advantage of this motor.

Thunder Chicken  --   Is the bottom part of that intake a stock Ford piece, or is it a custom casting? I'm just wondering why, if it's a custom casting, would Morano Racing bother with a two-piece design instead of a traditional dual or single plane intake...

Heh, yes, the lower intake is stock ford, the upper intake comes as an adapter plate and a riser, which is what you mainly see. It mounts the carb up there pretty high, so I think sometime this year I may end up working on a conversion manifold that replaces the lower intake entirely.

Also, as a side note, the manifold ordered from Morana was found to be not flat for shiznit on the parts that count(Bottom of adapter plate, carb mount) So I had it machined to flat, your experience may vary.

JeremyB  --    Did you put '83-'87 accessories on a 2003 block?

Yep. That's what I had so that's what I used. I thought about using new ones, but I asked about the accessories for the motor when I bought it and they wanted 50-100 per piece or some fool thing, so I politely declined and made what I had work. And it works rather nicely.

Although, we will see what the AC shop has to say on Wednesday.