Skip to main content
Topic: *PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!! (Read 15394 times) previous topic - next topic

*PICS* Just finished 351W swap...PICS ADDED!!!!

Reply #30
I appreciate the apology, let's chalk it up to the internet. I apologize for responding like an a-hole...lol.

I really couldn't do anything with the stock intake duct work...I tried, not even close...well it did not seal behind the MAF and ran a little funky...so to avoid taping it up, I just picked up that filter as a "get-me-by" until I can afford a CAI...everybody has a very strong opinion on K&N's one way or the other...and there are a million "scientific" tests to prove them good or bad.  I know I've used them for over 5yrs...the same filter in fact...two engines were pulled apart(one crank failure, one part out) and never once did I see any evidence of debris making it past the filter.

I do plan on having it tuned, once I replace the intake with a unit that flows SIGNIFICANTLY better and after losing the tailpipes...basically after I can get a good, solid, total combination.  I still have quite a bit of work ahead of me.

BTW, it's got enough balls to dog an '08 VW GTi...he had a bit of a run on me and I had already shifted to 2nd...lugged it from 2k rpm and slowly walked him...those things are solid 14.7-14.8 cars...it's a good start I suppose.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #31
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;276773
BTW, it's got enough balls to dog an '08 VW GTi...he had a bit of a run on me and I had already shifted to 2nd...lugged it from 2k rpm and slowly walked him...those things are solid 14.7-14.8 cars...it's a good start I suppose.

Hmmm...you've got quite a bit of part matching to go then as that's down at 302 bolton power levels. I'm sure both those heads and intake are restricting you severely, the intake mainly as it flows poorly. You already know that though. It must make a hell of a lot of torque though, up to about the same point the stock SO 5.0 begins to drop off :p

I can't see the gt40, ported or not, helping you get up to 5k on a 351. I'm not sure that cam will ever shine in any way with those heads. It's all down to the $$$ though! Decent intake/exhaust and it should still take care of most any car on the road.

With it as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if you're near having fuel delivery problems with the 19lb injectors. I figure stock HO 225hp, gt40 heads gets them up to 240, ported lower 250, high rpm cam 270, 351 block with gt40 porting, add 15% on top and you're at 310-320 at the crank. Depending on part matching, plus or minus a few but that's approaching full duty cycle on the 19lb's, especially if they aren't new. Depending on your goals, 24 may work, else jump to 30 if plans are 350+ rwhp. May as well do it once. It won't run as well as it does now though unless you get it tuned afterwards - "calibrated" MAF sensors don't work as well. Edit: Exhaust is in there somewhere...I never had a before/after check personally on this. I've used all the other parts though. The exhaust was just there when I dropped motor 2 in.

Lastly, I will add that by adding a second filter after the first air filter, while more restrictive, will show exactly how much dirt is getting past the filter. We know there will be a negligible amount of oil that will always get pulled in so it is hard to compare but the k&n's have always shown to filter more poorly than stock flat paper filters. They flow pretty evenly when the paper is clean. I bought a "CAI" as it came with MAF and injectors but don't use it due to not wanting any of the crud outside the motor on the inside. I also spent a year building the  thing (#2 after the first one's block was cracked) so I only do the best for my baby :p Don't have any problems losing traction as it is and runs smooth so I want to keep it that way as long as I can. That or get a Dart shortblock as I don't feel safe with the stock ones...
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #32
Pics or it didn't happen.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #33
I found the picture! :p
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #34
Looks good, for the mass air tube get another stock SD one keep it full
Length and stick the mass air meter on the end, than goto home depot and buy a 90* rubber elbow that will fit the filter end and the mass air meter and mount your filter in the fender

That's how mine is untill I can buy an Anderson ford motorsport setup. I look for a pick or look in my thread
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #35
Quote from: Seek;276793
I found the picture! :p

no, no, no, but it doesn't look too far off...lmao.  As for the heads, heavily ported E7's can be worth 30hp on a 5.0...GT40's (not P's) when heavily ported can support much more...I know the intake is choking me, falls off at about 4k...I know the injectors will be cutting it close if not already...I got a set of 24's off of Vinnietbird.  The operating range on the cam is 1400-5200, I have no reason to twist a 351 too high...although I should have just planned on MAF to begin with and went a little more agressive.  The intake is definitely what's killing me on horsepower...but I think it's helping me make my 1.21 giga-watts of torque...lol.  I can afford to trade some torque for more power...when I happen to stumble upon $700, I'd like to toss a TFS 351R intake on it(not the box style).

Time and money...the time I have, the money I do not.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Friggin' pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #36
With hood raised...I think I may be able to let it down some, but it's not too bad as is.

Basic engine bay shot, see junky temporary hot air intake? lol

BC Broncos intake adapter, you can just barely see it.

BBK's!!!

Stamped steel valve cover...allows me to still have a PCV valve and a mile of clearance to my booster(obvious exaggeration).

A shot across the fenders to show intake/TB height...it looks taller than it is, it fits under the hood.

Happy?  lol.  I have an exhaust clip too, I'll post a link to that later on.

-Don

Reply #37
Well that 5.0 intake plate will fool some people. Just say it's a stock 5.0 when you bet 'em ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #38
Speaking of engine cleaners, dude go buy a bottle of Simple Green spray it on and hose it off 15 min later. Trust me.

Reply #39
The long block IS clean, all freshly painted black before it went in...lol.

thunderjet302- I planned on it! lol

As for the exhaust clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu7fqnA_i7M

Reply #40
Quote from: 86XR7project;276888
Speaking of engine cleaners, dude go buy a bottle of Simple Green spray it on and hose it off 15 min later. Trust me.

Man you really stand behind that stuff huh? lol
Just read on another thread where you said something about it.

Think i'll get me a bottle tomorrow! :D
1971 Camaro Blown 640ci
1988 T-Top Mustang
1980 Mustang coupe
1988 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
And a purple mini van! :burnout:

Previous Thunderbirds:
1988 Sport

Reply #41
It does work VERY well, and it's biodegradable :banana:  Not that I'm a tre-hugger or anything...it's just nice not to kill your grass when you wash it down the driveway and into the storm sewers (usually untreated water).
'87 Cougar LS V6 (stock) Daily Driver
'06 Lincoln LS V8

'12 F-150 SCrew FX4 5.0L
'80 Thunderbird V8 (mild 304) [sold to friend]

Reply #42
I'm starting to think I should've just posted the pics up in the User Rides section...at least people would look at them there...lol.

Reply #43
I don't know about your budget but nab a cold air intake off of ebay, and re-use your filter. I've used that intake on 3 different cars, and it works well enough with a decent filter. It will at least get you into the fenderwell.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #44
Yeah, anything to get it away from pulling super heated air in...unfortunately, I can't afford to spend a dime on it because I have to save up to move down south.