Skip to main content
Topic: Super Coupe swap underway (Read 13457 times) previous topic - next topic

shizniter

Reply #45
The issue is that the 84 V6 mount plates on my v8 crossmemeber put the engine way to far forward. and i should elaborate.. it puts it 1 1/2 inc forward toward the stereo. if i had no floor console between the seats it would be fine. But as soon as i looked to re-installing the stock console with the proper turbo coupe trim it would not allow it to all bolt up.

I got the engine with the mazda trans still bolted up to it off craigslist for $250.00. I already had the T5 in the car which only had approx 300 miles on it before my 5.0 went tits up :punchballs:. So i separated the Mazda unit and sold it on craigslist for $250.00  :cheers:

I am going to stick with the stock 3.08 rear gear ratio that the 5.0 had. But i am going to rip out the stock 7.5 and put in a 8.8 turbo coupe axle. I am going to have the turbo coupe axel rebuild before instilling with a after-market LS unit and a new set of 3.08 gears.

P.S

The stock 5.0L lower radiator hose is a perfect fit. the stock SC upper radiator hose works to but you have to angle it back a hair to fit... My screaming daemon coil will arrive soon. Looks like i am going to tackle the heater hose issue next week. I will take pictures and post.

I have not decided if i am going to maintain the Throttle body heater hoses yet or just ditch them for simplicity,
1963 Lincoln Continental Cov. 455ci
1984 Thunderbird Elan 232ci 3.8L Super Coupe "in swap stage"
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 280CI 4.6DOHC V8
                        :birdsmily:

Super Coupe swap underway

Reply #46
It's not the cross member...they're the same, regardless of engine.
The difference is in the shifter placement in regards to location on the transmission, as well as the length of the transmission, in regards to T5 vs. the Mazda SC transmission.
Did you reuse your 5.0 T5 bell? If so, I believe that's your issue...

The 3.8 bell is "deeper"....find one from a Mustang, I bet it'll help put your shifter where you want it..or at least a little closer. Also, the '94+ 3.8 T5 had a longer input shaft as well...

I saw a 95 3.8 Stang with a T5 in it last time I was at pick n pull....thought about it, but I knew it would be the wrong length for a Fox...unless it was behind a 3.8.

The engine block mount points, and outer physical dimensions never changed. Neither did the T5 lengths, or mounting points. The bell housing itself is the only difference. PM CougarSE for the details, he swapped a T5 into an '88 3.8 Fox. he could tell you more, or you read his thread...probably buried in the sands of time, but it IS there if you look. :)
'Luck;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #47
Thank you sir.. I stand corrected in regards to the crossmember/bell's.. I did re-use my 5.0 bell housing... That explanes the issue. Thank you sir
I have already created custom engine mounts to fix the issue.
1963 Lincoln Continental Cov. 455ci
1984 Thunderbird Elan 232ci 3.8L Super Coupe "in swap stage"
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 280CI 4.6DOHC V8
                        :birdsmily:

Reply #48
I wonder why ford used different bellhousing for the 3.8 to 5.0.  The block mounting points are the same....hmmm.

Travis

Reply #49
i've been wondering the same thing myself when i read it above.. doesn't make sense, but what does these days?
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #50
Quote from: Shadow;382231
i've been wondering the same thing myself when i read it above.. doesn't make sense, but what does these days?

That people love fox third/cougars they rock.

Travis

Reply #51
:dunno: i know a couple douches who own(ed) fox birds/cats lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver