Skip to main content
Topic: Super Coupe swap underway (Read 13374 times) previous topic - next topic

new issues

Reply #30
ok, found 2 more issues.

1. the throttle cables are to short. - figured this was coming.

2. the 3.8 sits a little bit more forward then the 5.0. in turn this has created a issue with the transmission mount. the crossmemeber sits a bit to far back and the the mount will not line up with the trans. i am thinking about moding the crossmember, but i was wondering if y'all had any good ideas?

:punchballs:
1963 Lincoln Continental Cov. 455ci
1984 Thunderbird Elan 232ci 3.8L Super Coupe "in swap stage"
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII 4.6 280CI 4.6DOHC V8
                        :birdsmily:

got it....just to find more.

Reply #31
so i used a grinder to cut off the welds on the crossmember and moved it up so it was properly aligned with the bottom of the trans.  :sawzall:
 but it also showed me more issues.

1. the drive shaft is a lot shorter then i am comfortable with. it fits but it has a lot less teeth on the rear of the trans. so when she is running, i am going to get a alluminum drive shaft and take her to a drive line shop for fitment.

2. exhaust is also short. going to have to cut off the exhaust mount off the pipe and move it closer to the crossmember exhaust mount.  :welder:
Engine bay issues:

1. The super coupe wire harness is way way to long. because it was made for a much bigger car. the ecu harness is so long it stretches from the firewall about 1/2 foot beyond the front of the car.

2. This creates a big nest of wires in the over by were the ac condenser.
                            :beatyoass:

Super Coupe swap underway

Reply #32
Wire looms/ cover things will help hide alot of the extras, can you pull some of the extra ECU length back into the car and behind the kick panel and under the dash
1986 Cougar LS

harness

Reply #33
the harness is not set up in a way that i can do that. if i do, i whould have to cut the wireing for the baro sensor and or relocate it under the dash,

Reply #34
Just wondering how this swap is going.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

swap

Reply #35
its kinda on a short hold for right now,

My XKR's timing chain tensioners went bad.

Its funny how many car company's if the late 90's thought that plastic tensioners were a good idea. 1256.00 later its fixed. And that was in parts alone. i did the work. Just got it running yesterday.

SOOOO as you can imagen that kinda threw a wrench in the swap.. but it should be back under way next month. i am looking at getting back into the swing of things in November when i catch up on bills.

I will keep ya all informed as it happens.

curentley its awaiting the wiring the inter cooler, drive shaft, exhaust, and fuel plumbing, computer, tuner, a  tone of sensors... yea, got some work to do.

Reply #36
hey one thing. keep an eye on the balencer. They are pr0ne to breaking or the rubber ring in them break down and allow the outer ring of the balencer to fall off. When this does happen i would go with a bhj balencer. Thats the way im going on my SC.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

back to work

Reply #37
OK gentleman..

I am re-starting work on the bird "and freezing my NUTS off in the process".  I have ordered my frozen boost kit.. from http://www.frozenboost.com/

Found a ECU on ebay for 25.00!! :D

And i am looking at that alluminum driveshaft from
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c3_aluminum_6061_t6_driveshafts.html

i will let ya all know as soon as i get her up and running.

Reply #38
thanks for the update and good luck.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #39
good luck.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #40
Great idea PITA project i wish you luck i have thought about doing that swap a few times over you can do it may take a little longer and a little more help than you 1st thought.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Engine swap

Reply #41
Im back on the project after a long long delay due to the economy and a engine rebuild in my 2000 Jag... (dont ever buy a jag) ... So any way im back at it and have learned several new things

1. The stock wiring is doable but its a pain. the stock wiring harness go's from the firewall and stretches about 3 feet past the front of the car :hick: . I cut a hole in the inner fenderwell on the pass side and ran it threw there.. 

After this was done i had to sift threw the driver side SC harness and remove the wireing for the power feed to the ECU Relay (i mounted the relay in the fender). That was a pain in the ass. But its done. Ended up adding a few power wires going from the stock 84 harness on the drivers side threw the wire bundle in between the radiator and then connecting it with the ECU relay. While i was in there i mounted up my K&N cone filter on the end of the stock tube. There will be no air filter under the hood. a true cold air setup!

2. The stock motor mounts for the 84 will not work if your running a :bowdown: FMS superduty T-5 with a aluminum flywheel and a king cobra clutch. it puts the shifter in the stereo :punchballs: . So i had to move the engine 1 1/2 back buy making custom mount plates. This in tern caused another issue as the intercooler charge return pipe has a bracket that is bolted to the block right next to the mount... well if you move the motor back it puts a bolt hole in the middle of the block's mounting pad for the bracket. so i had to cut that.. (pic below).. freeked my nabor out when he came out side and saw me cutting on the engine with a cutter wheel.

3. Now the engine is  close to the fire wall which makes the stock cooling system routing difficult. The stock cooling system runs from the water pump to the oil filter adapter then up the driver side under the inter cooler pipes to the back of the engine where it takes a left hand turn and go's behind the engine to the pass side heater core inlet. With engine so close to the wall its going to be a bitch to route the pipes.. (additional pics to come) 

4. this setup required two different length O2 sensors. Pass side is stock length and the driver side has to be at least 10 to 15 inch long.

5. The stock throttle cable is way way to short. I am going to order a lokar cable for this which i have not done yet. (pics to come)

6. The Alternator is on the wrong side. So i had to make a supper long alternator + cable and run it threw the wire bundle between the radiator.

the plan is to use a water to air intercooler system similar to whats on frozen boost.com 
I am also going to run the screaming demon coil back with 10mm live wires which are on there way. will be ordering a new much larger MAF housing in a few days. I am hoping to be able to fire it up before the end of next month. Then i will be saving up to get the exhaust done and the inter cooler which will be custom built for me by my good friends up at nameless performance.  I will keep yall informed with more pics as this progress's

Reply #42
Quote from: Cougar8775;240885
hey one thing. keep an eye on the balencer. They are pr0ne to breaking or the rubber ring in them break down and allow the outer ring of the balencer to fall off. When this does happen i would go with a bhj balencer. Thats the way im going on my SC.

I ordered a replacement unit. the stock one was shot!

Reply #43
can't wait to see the outcome of this.. curious to see how the motor performs in a better platform :p
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #44
Neat project....

I curious about the T5 shifter placement.  I remember reading on the sccoa.com about the problem of using T5 in MN12 cars.  It would put the shifter in the dash.  As they where designed around the Mazda MR52....a truck tranny.  Used alot in F150.  Could you have used the engine and tranny in the stock position if you had a 83-84 TC/XR7 console?  This is a great swap.  With all the torque that SC 3.8 will produce in your not so heavy fox tbird.  What kind of rear gear are you going to run?  I wouldn't want more that 3.27 myself.  The SuperCoupe had a rear gear of 2.73 with manual!  All though lots of guys swap in 3.27.  The first gear ratio is something like 3.5?ish compared to the T5 2.97 1st gear.

Good luck,

Travis