Skip to main content
Topic: How possible? Pics of block and trans....3/18/09 (Read 13071 times) previous topic - next topic

How possible? Pics of block and trans....3/18/09

Reply #15
ill post some pics soon guys... its all in pieces for now,, stripped it down and cleaned it up.... my heads have 5 broken bolts in them and half the thread on one of them is broken off the right head.. not sure if i want to spend $900ea. on two new heads just yet.. id rather juts go boneyard pickin for them for now
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #16
i was going to buy a 460 swap kit for a mustang\ fox body cars comes with headers, ford racing oil pan,pickup,dipstick, motor mounts,oil pump shaft, and melling oil pump,, $880. and i see i need a manual brake setup too?
[/IMG]

Reply #17
I have also done 3 fox/460 swaps. One was a 1978 Fairmont, the other a 1985 Mustang and the latest is a 1983 Thunderbird.

I used the Ford motorsports oil pan and motor mounts with 1 1/2" K member spacers on the stock K member. Unfortunately I used the Hooker headers too, I second they suck! I would look at D+D Automotive Specialties in Ohio. They have complete kits with pan, mounts and headers. Bob (the owner) is a great guy to work with.

If you use a power brake booster from a 1993 Mustang Cobra, it will clear the valve covers or you can go manual.

Mine had the 7.5" diff in it so I upgraded to an 8.8. And had a custom 3" driveshaft made.

The huge torque of the BBF is great and really freaks people out!!

Good luck,
Bill

Reply #18
"he huge torque of the BBF is great and really freaks peopleout!!"
Whats wrong with that!!, I like it. Maybe I can convince Vinney To a 460.
                                    vinnie likes my suggestions!!.LOL
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #19
I am very, very happy with my 460 swaps.

People can't believe I fit all that engine in there. But they fit better than some think.

The spark plugs are eisier to change on this than my 1972 Mach1 with the 351 Cleveland. The K member spacers make a big difference too, I can even run an engine driven fan.

For drag racing most guys run the 4cyl mustang springs, I still have the 5.0 springs with one coil cut. The car sits very nice and level.

Good luck!!
Bill

Reply #20
Quote from: billandlori;230632
I am very, very happy with my 460 swaps.

People can't believe I fit all that engine in there. But they fit better than some think.

The spark plugs are eisier to change on this than my 1972 Mach1 with the 351 Cleveland. The K member spacers make a big difference too, I can even run an engine driven fan.

For drag racing most guys run the 4cyl mustang springs, I still have the 5.0 springs with one coil cut. The car sits very nice and level.

Good luck!!
Bill

How do they handle ? I'm not expecting slot car handling but is it as bad as some folks say ?

Reply #21
so how much  can my 88 handle before i start blowin out back windows, and hurting it more than help it?
[/IMG]

Reply #22
ricktjr:
I removed the front sway bar for better weight transfer, but it still doesn't handle too bad. It leans a bit if you take a corner fast, but not too bad, not a corner burner though!! I have aluminium heads and intake so the weight should be close to the 302.

masscougarxr7:
If you install subframe connectors (weld in), the car should handle a bunch of power with out any problems, a 6 or 8 point cage will offer some more insurance but can be a pain for getting in and out!
Our '83 T-Bird is pushing 525HP and 565TQ without sub frame connectors, but the street tires don't offer much bite:burnout: , connectors are coming this winter.

Bill

Reply #23
All i got to say is that why would you do this swap and then think about gas mileage. Unless you want to be like the 90% of Fox body owners who run the 5.0. Just remember theirs no replacement for displacement.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:burnout: :flame:
1987 Cougar LS w/460big block & AOD tranny
1992 Cougar XR7 Supercharged 3.8L V6
1987 Pontiac Firebird w/3.1 V6
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4
1988 AMC Eagle Wagon w/14000 mile crate 258 I-6
1931 Model A Pickup

Reply #24
I hear you on that one!!!! just building the motor back to stock specs will double the stock 5.0 horse.....but obviously it wont be stock......
[/IMG]

Reply #25
Just remember theirs no replacement for displacement.
Sure their is.....It's called BOOST!
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #26
Quote from: shame302;252982
Sure their is.....It's called BOOST!

or ego! ask any one that had a new cars from the 70's, there car run faster as there story get told through the years!
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #27
supercharge the bb, boost that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!jk i dont need that much power and im not a big fan of 4 and 6 cyl cars.....UGH the sound..........unless it sounds like a subaru wrx.... then maybe...
[/IMG]

Reply #28
Quote from: rancheronut;252986
or ego! ask any one that had a new cars from the 70's, there car run faster as there story get told through the years!

Not quite...

My stock 4 speed, 3:50 geared, 428 Cobra Jet Fairlane has run 14.21@100, the Tbird has bettered that by 1.1 sec and 5mph...

The rags of the day got similar times for 3:50 geared cars, ones with 3.91 or 4.30 gears generally ran 13.8 -14.0... With open headers, fatter jets in the carb, and a little iginition work, they'd run 12.8s easily...

Reply #29
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;253042
Not quite...

My stock 4 speed, 3:50 geared, 428 Cobra Jet Fairlane has run 14.21@100, the Tbird has bettered that by 1.1 sec and 5mph...

The rags of the day got similar times for 3:50 geared cars, ones with 3.91 or 4.30 gears generally ran 13.8 -14.0... With open headers, fatter jets in the carb, and a little iginition work, they'd run 12.8s easily...

sounds about right for those cars. but  those  good old boys, that where the 1st owners. now like to say they ran high 10 to low 12 right off the showroom floor in there story of the good old days..
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!