Skip to main content
Topic: turbocoupe 5.0 swap (Read 24544 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: turbocoupe 5.0 swap

Reply #30
O and not that ford will carry that harness anymore but if they did it would cost you around 500.00 to 800.00 dollars i'm sure.
From a wreckers,50.00 maybe.
I wouldn't worry about bugs,you can tell weather a harness has been hacked by lookin at it,the 5.0l harness is pretty staright forward.
Yes the evap canister is required for emissions and if you don't have it you'll smell fuel near the pass fender,you can use the tc one,but you will need to run the canister purge valve into the outlet that went to your old airfilter box because they are not exactly the same.
The hose that goes to your airfilter is about 1/2" and the canister purge hose is about 1/8".
I just shoved mine inside the 1/2" hose and it works but to be propper get the 5.0l one.
Honestly i had a parts car(my previous bird,may she RIP!) and it is definetly advised that you find a rotted out 5.0l bird or cat,it will have every part you need and it will be way cheaper and less time consuming than buying the 6 million small parts you'll need seperatley.

Reply #31
oi, ive done it too. i went from v6 to v8. i used a bumper jack as a tranny crossmember, and it kicks ass. also, the wiring harness can actually almost be reused. if u change the computer, and run wires from the ingectors, some throttle stuff, and some other stuff, u can completely reuse it. also, with your local parts store, u can get around getting those fuel lines, and other junk. be creative! i saved alot of money by being creative. i pulled my 5.0 standard output from an 89 grand marquis. it took 3 weeks and about $100 on top of the $140 grand marquis. just a suggestion! best of luck

Reply #32
You went through all that for a 5.0 SO swap,DAM!

Reply #33
Wow........I think...............
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #34
dominator
Im not sure why i read all that, i was sort of in a trance with all that detail that i just could not stop.  Great write up !!!  I thought i was long winded. :giggle:

copy/past now :bowdown:

thanks, very useful info but tom's points should be combined as well.

Reply #35
Thanks.
The way i figured it is,when i went to do this stuff,it was hard to find all the info on it so,when i did it i wanted to share with anyone who wanted to know.
I'm all for the preservation and restoration of these cars(i can't believe i just said that,i remember seeing these at the dealers when they were new,man i'm only 28 and already i feel old)and anybody that needs a hand on a swap or body resto ,just give me a shout.
Also i don't know if anybodies interested in swaping all the ho parts onto their so but i will soon have all of the stock ho eng parts(exc cam,still gonna use that) and the sd eec up for sale as soon as i swap all my perfomance parts listed in my "track times" post onto my ho.
I'll let you guys know when it's all off and for sale.

Reply #36
I'd prolly be intrested in that old HO stuff - if I had it, it would take away my excuse for not doing the HO upgrade :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #37
I also put a HO 5.0 in a 88 TC. It was a lot of fun. The wiring was the only hard part, but went to the ford dealer and got a wiring book on the motor and the car and it went very well. I also used the front member from the Lincoln the motor came out of. It sure makes a hell of a runner. Love that car!!!!!!!!!!!!
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew

Reply #38
You used the k-member out of the Lincoln? Does that mean you swapped over to airbags since there are no spring perches on the Lincoln K-member, or did you weld some round tubing in to use that k-member? Now I really feel redneck for just using a toggle switch and aftermarket relay for the fuel pump on the conversions I've done.

turbocoupe 5.0 swap

Reply #39
I am in the middle of puting a 5.0 from a Tbird sport into a TC. after maping out everything with the wiring diagrams i'm left with a few unanswered questions. But to continue i need these two answered first. 1. The coil wires,do i splice in the 5.0 harness into the existing plug for the TC. not plug the 5.0 in, or unplug the TC plug and plug in the 5.0 one? 2. The O/y wire for the ride control at the engine computer plug #35, will running this wire from the 5.0 computer the the PRCM just like the TC set up work? or is there some other way to make the ride control get this signal if the 5.0 computer wont provide it?

turbocoupe 5.0 swap

Reply #40
Quote from: 88TCfiveoh
I am in the middle of puting a 5.0 from a Tbird sport into a TC. after maping out everything with the wiring diagrams i'm left with a few unanswered questions. But to continue i need these two answered first. 1. The coil wires,do i splice in the 5.0 harness into the existing plug for the TC. not plug the 5.0 in, or unplug the TC plug and plug in the 5.0 one? 2. The O/y wire for the ride control at the engine computer plug #35, will running this wire from the 5.0 computer the the PRCM just like the TC set up work? or is there some other way to make the ride control get this signal if the 5.0 computer wont provide it?

You need to use the 5.0 plug, it is connected back through the harness to the TFI module on the dist... The 2.3 used a God awful arrangement that run foward, wraped around the radiator support, back to the EEC plug and around to the dist... My 2.3 plug and all it's wiring dissapeared when I did my swap...

You will loose the automatic firm activation on heavy throttle with a 5.0 swap, there are no electronics in the EEC to support this operation. It may be possible to use the A/C cutout function to trigger it, but since mine stays in firm I've never tried.

turbocoupe 5.0 swap

Reply #41
I;m bored so i will post here.
460 into a TC with 2 T4s and a mega squrt.
What do i need ?
Big hammer and a welder

Thanks

Reply #42
Thanks for the help, as soon as the rain and snow stop up here i'll try to finish up. :bowdown:

turbocoupe 5.0 swap

Reply #43
Used the Lincoln k-member, it had springs on it. Just used the struts of the TC, to eliminate the air bags.
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew

Hood Clearance

Reply #44
I installed the hood on the TC today and with the 5.0 in it hit the left vent at the AC bracket. Has anyone cured this problem and still used the intercooler vents with the 5.0, or do i need to blank off the holes in the hood. I also am wondering if after curing the clearance issue if anyone had any problems with water blowing in directly onto the motor? We are on our 25th straight day of rain up here so this might be an issue i need to know about.