Skip to main content
Topic: New Laptop -- JUNK!!! (Read 3771 times) previous topic - next topic

New Laptop -- JUNK!!!

Reply #15
Luckily I've had no trouble with my laptops.  My old Dell Inspiron 1200, which was a 1.3GHz Celeron M 256MB ram and 30gb hdd with 14" screen cheapie I bought in Fall 2005, has been quite a dependable machine.  I swapped out the Celeron for a 1.4GHz Banias Pentium M for better battery life and cooler operating temps, and added another 256mb of ram for a total of 512mb.  I think I gave $450 for it when new, and with upgrades, I have $475 in it (or so). 
My wife's Acer Aspire was a Walmart special purchased back in November 2007 for $350.  It has been "okay" in terms of reliability, mainly just intermittent glitches associated with the onboard mouse pad locking up that may or may not be a Windows Vista driver issue.  Oh, and Vista, ya, I don't care for it, but meh, it's the wife's computer.  If it works for her, I'm okay with it.  Anyway, it was a Celeron M 1.73GHz 1GB ram 80GB hdd 15.4" widescreen and Vista Home basic.  I swapped out the Celeron CPU for a 1.46 GHz Pentium Dual Core, and added an SD card reader in its media slot.  In total I have about $400 in the laptop.  It's a nice desktop replacement for my wife, but I do enjoy the smaller size of my 14" Dell, as I do travel quite a bit with it.

A friend of mine has an HP Pavilion laptop, an older unit from around 2005, that stopped working last summer.  I was given the task of fixing it, and once I tore the entire thing apart, I noticed the voltage regulator for the DC input on the motherboard was burnt up, so I soldered in a new, upgraded voltage regulator for him.  It was a 70 cent part that cost $6 to ship, and saved him $100 as he didn't have a buy a replacement motherboard, or brick a laptop that would otherwise be worth about $200-$250.  And to think, Geek squad wanted $100 just to look at it.  I think he ended up paying me back with steak and beer at his place.

New Laptop -- JUNK!!!

Reply #16
I should mention....The partition delete failed as well.  Going to attempt a swap for a new laptop on Monday...

Although I'm sure they'll want me to send mine out for repair....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

New Laptop -- JUNK!!!

Reply #17
sounds like the hard drive failure. I would try to get them to let you replace it. Best Buy should be able to do it there if there an authorized service center. You shouldn't have to pay anything as well.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

New Laptop -- JUNK!!!

Reply #18
Ok, now I got caught up. the laptop starts but the OS won't load.
Could be hard drive or the controller portion of the logic board.
If the drive clicks and sounds like its searching, the drive heads crashed on it or parked. common for laptops.
If no drive sound at all....HD controller
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

New Laptop -- JUNK!!!

Reply #19
If the drive clicks and sounds like its searching, the drive heads crashed on it or parked. common for laptops.

BIMBO!!!!11!!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

New Laptop -- JUNK!!!

Reply #20
Quote from: daminc;255895
Ok, now I got caught up. the laptop starts but the OS won't load.
Could be hard drive or the controller portion of the logic board.
If no drive sound at all....HD controller

Oy vey, GLAVEN!!!!