Topic: Symptoms of bad CPU? (Read 1648 times) previous topic - next topic

Symptoms of bad CPU?

Ok well Im trying to build a media center pc with the following components:

MSI 945GM2-FH MOBO
Kingston Valueram 512MBx2 PC5300 DDR2 ram
Intel pentium D 820 2.8Ghz CPU
Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
Antec Fusion Case

Well i had problems the first time i tried and i RMA'd the mobo and the ram. well when i got it back it was better than the first time but it still wont install windows. It will reboot and go to the windows screen and even get to the installation once in a while but it will always reboot before installing windows. I know the mobo doesnt require any SATA drivers because the MSI tech said not to try to install any drivers cause it formats the SATA as IDE.
SO the real question is could this all be a sign of a bad CPU? When i got it from ebay it said new in box and when it got here it was open when i asked the seller he said he took it out to test it. I tried 1 stick of ram in the #1 dimm with no change between either stick.
I am getting irritated i have tried everything and always get the same results. I even tried installing Vista and it wouldnt work. I am about to just buy a new CPU and try it, but i dont want to if i dont have to.

Thanks,
Andrew

Symptoms of bad CPU?

Reply #1
If you're getting a BSOD try and write down the stop error if you can. Also, I notice that it's an MSI board, is there a fan on the heatsink for the northbridge? If not try touching it while it's running, if it burns the  out of your finger you need to put a fan on it. MSI boards are notorious for ping out due to the northbridge overheating. So... if none of these things help the situation move to the CPU. Start by making sure that there is "just" enough thermal compund between the heatsink and cpu. Too much and it won't transfer heat and the cpu will overheat, too little and, well, same thing. Last resort, if you can find a known working processor that you can swap into your machine for a test run, you'll be able to rule out the processor for sure. Lastly, make sure that you have the latest bios update for motherboard. Hope this helps.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Symptoms of bad CPU?

Reply #2
That WOULD be a bad CPU.  My roomate just went through that same situation.

Symptoms of bad CPU?

Reply #3
I dont think the cpu is overheating cause it will do it even if I tried it after it hasnt been plugged in for a week or more. There is a stock heatsink and fan for the Pentium D which i know isnt the greatest but I know the fan works and it will increase the speed of the fan if it gets warm. I dont know about the thermal compound, I used arctic silver 5 and followed the directions but my line may have been a little wider than the directions said.
Thanks for the responses. I think i will try a new cpu from newegg instead of ebay. It is the only thing i havent had checked or replaced. I just wish there was a computer shop around here that i could have check it.

Thanks again,
Andrew