Skip to main content
Topic: High pitched noise..... (Read 2097 times) previous topic - next topic

High pitched noise.....

There is a high pitched noise coming from my computer. It sounds like it's from the monitor, and if I turn the screen off, the noise goes away.
I know this can't be good.... any ideas what it could be?

I am running Windows XP, and it's a Gateway computer & monitor...about 6 1/2 yrs old.
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

High pitched noise.....

Reply #1
Well, you've pretty much narrowed it down to what it is. Now the real question is, is you're monitor on the way out, or is it set at the wrong refresh and/or resolution. The later is the easiest to check on, simply get into the display properties (either right click and select properties from the desktop or go through the control panel) and select the settings tab. Start by lowering the resolution by a notch on the slider. If that kills the noise then you need to change the refresh rate. To get to it click on the "advanced" button above the cancel/apply buttons. This will open up another box with more tabs, select the monitor tab. There should be a "Screen refresh rate" drop down menu, if it's not selected, choose optimal and click apply/ok. That should let you set your resolution back to what it was before.

Hope this helps.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

High pitched noise.....

Reply #2
Ive had that happen before. . . just got tired of the noise and hit the moniter with a big old slap across the side :beatyoass:  that stopped the noise:dunce:
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

High pitched noise.....

Reply #3
Reminds me of one of my old computer classes back in the school days... Imagine that problem times 30 or so...
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

High pitched noise.....

Reply #4
Quote from: turbo88;110150
Ive had that happen before. . . just got tired of the noise and hit the moniter with a big old slap across the side :beatyoass: that stopped the noise:dunce:

Surprisingly enough this is good advice.  If your moniter is a trinitron or built on trinitron technology (is it completely flat? I'm not talking flat panel, but just the glass itself) there is some sort of a refresh problem that they have.  Mine did it and I read the only solution is to smack it.  Usually this is enough to fix it, but it may be a sign the moniter is dying.  I've had mine for about 3 years before the squeal and its been moved around probably 20 times in those years.  One smack, 2 more years and multiple moves later, it's still going strong with no noise.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

High pitched noise.....

Reply #5
Well, I just remembered last week sometime when I started the computer, there was a message about something with it,can't remember what exactly. But it asked about starting it and it was safe to do so, so I did.
After that I realized that there was a lot of black around the edges of the window. I couldn't figure out why or how it happened. So, this morning, I remembered about the control for the screen. I went in and widened the horizontal and raised the vertical so now the window covers the screen like before.
I haven't heard the noise since then, but I'll keep an eye on it.
If it happens again, I'll try the hit! lol
:cougarsmily:~Karen~

High pitched noise.....

Reply #6
Littleangel, if all else fails and the noise comes back..a BFM works well..BFH=big f*cking hammer :grinno: :pbb:

High pitched noise.....

Reply #7
Quote from: 85turbotbird;111934
Littleangel, if all else fails and the noise comes back..a BFM works well..BFM=big f*cking hammer :grinno: :pbb:

Big, F*cking, Mammer?

High pitched noise.....

Reply #8
Thanks Ifix, lol...didn't know wtf you were talking about until I looked at my post!