Skip to main content
Topic: Gas gauge is going wiggy (Read 1774 times) previous topic - next topic

Gas gauge is going wiggy

Ok this morning im driving to work and look at the gas gauge and its at 3 gallons and about 38 D.T.E (Distance to empty for those who dont have the digital dash). And i jump in at 3 after work today and start it up go down the road a ways and then the D.T.E and gallons start to rise. Its been doing this for about 2-3 months, has anyone else had this problem?

Re: Gas gauge is going wiggy

Reply #1
Your D.T.E. clock monitors your driving habits and compensates for it a bit.  For instance,  If your on a highwa with no lights doing a steady 55 you will get better mileage than in stop & go traffic at 5 PM.  The trip clock constantly monitors your instantaneous economy and factors it in.  Sometimes if I fill up before a trip the DTE will say about 430 or so.  after highway driving it will go up still.  I once had it read over 550.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #2
No man this is a constant up and down thing i have it on the DTE setting which USED to stay at like say i have 6 gallons i would have 120 miles on it. But this changes almost every minute. what im trying to say is the gallons part also changes constantly, from what ive seen it seems to happen more in the cold weather.

Reply #3
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o
No man this is a constant up and down thing i have it on the DTE setting which USED to stay at like say i have 6 gallons i would have 120 miles on it. But this changes almost every minute. what im trying to say is the gallons part also changes constantly, from what ive seen it seems to happen more in the cold weather.

When my gauges started acting goofy alot of my readings went out of whack. The oil pressure read really high,gas mileage went way down,battery gauge was low.I tried a lot of things but the best fix was improving the grounds from the batteryto the block and battery to body.

Reply #4
ok ill try that and i do have a bad battery/battery cables they are freyed