Skip to main content
Topic: Weighing options... (Read 2074 times) previous topic - next topic

Weighing options...

I picked up an 86 T-bird project car from My10-80 in November and I've been trying to decide what direction to go. The car does not have a dash or dash harness in it at the moment and all the parts cars in this area have dried up. I have a 96 Mustang dash with harness and a 99+ console in the attic of my garage that I could make work in the Thunderbird. There was another member who did the SN95 dash swap and I've read his thread here and on a Mustang site, and I'm certain I have the skills and equipment to pull it off. My only issue is that this was not the direction I had in my mind when I got the car. I know I want to build a restomod / g machine style car and was planning on making the "Knight Rider" cluster I already have work the best I could.

If it was you guys, what would you do? There is no going back to stock for this car, and the jury is still out on the powerplant.

Weighing options...

Reply #1
Im sorry...i have no info on the dash swap...
But drive train are you thinking?

Travis

Weighing options...

Reply #2
I've been really tempted by the sn-95 dash swap.

if you get rid of the mustang steering wheel and dash cover, I doubt anyone would notice and would make the car look a lot less dated. the 85-88 dash isn't bad, but it screams 80's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Weighing options...

Reply #3
Quote from: turbotrav;427098
Im sorry...i have no info on the dash swap...
But drive train are you thinking?

Travis
I've got a few ideas, one of which will upset the purists because it involves an engine from the dark side.

Quote from: Haystack;427105
I've been really tempted by the sn-95 dash swap.

if you get rid of the mustang steering wheel and dash cover, I doubt anyone would notice and would make the car look a lot less dated. the 85-88 dash isn't bad, but it screams 80's.
The wheel is going for sure, I won't be using the airbag or cruise control so a nice Grant wheel will go in its place. I might even fab something cool to fill the hole on the passenger side where the airbag once was.

Weighing options...

Reply #4
I say build it like YOU want it. Will you get slammed for using a Chevy engine? I should hope so, but, that's a requirement on a Ford/Mercury forum. Now, knowing that, go get to work.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Weighing options...

Reply #5
I was hoping maybe we would be seeing a coyote swap here in the near future. And I quote...

Your project is making me want another 4 eye bird in a bad way. I found one in decent shape somewhat local and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm taking notes from your build because a Coyote 5.0 is the plan if I go through.

If you do go to the dark side I will eventually be able to forgive you, maybe, I think. LOL. All kidding aside, I am with Vinnie, build what you want, otherwise what's the point.

Weighing options...

Reply #6
LOL thanks for the call out bodyman. The Coyote is still an option, but I'm trying to find an engine for a decent price. Then there's wiring, pcm, fuel, exhaust, etc. I'm not sold on the LS1's yet, but there are about 5-6 locally for less than 200. Makes it even tougher to decide.

Weighing options...

Reply #7
400hp and nearly identical to a 351. don't even have to change your trans. nothing to think about. use a 4.6 k member and drill the correct holes into the motor mount. I say do it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Weighing options...

Reply #8
I think the 4.6 K member will push the front wheels out towards the fenders a bit too if I remember. It seems like a no brainer to me but my Ford roots won't be happy. Add a cam and home built turbo kit at 600 at the wheels is easily obtainable.

Weighing options...

Reply #9
One of the big problems in my mind with either a LSX or 351 is the hood clearance. It can be done keeping the stock hood but the budget takes a hit to do it. If I ever go bigger I'll just cave in and use a raised hood or some kind of scoopage. Then the truck intake can be used and you get some breathing room on the engine. My build is jammed in as it is (being a street car primarily). If it's just a funsy track beast then it's easier.

Weighing options...

Reply #10
I was planning an LS1 / LS6 intake as its lower profile, and running some F body accessories to keep the profile lower. I want to use a TC hood if I can. I'm thinking of fabbing the mounts myself to get it as low as possible.

Weighing options...

Reply #11
Well I found the dash harness in the car. Its cut up pretty good, I'm not sure how much I can salvage. I'm going to run to pull a part tomorrow to start getting parts for the 5 lug swap so I will look for a 94/95 Mustang dash harness while I'm there. Lots of the fox guys use these because there is no PATS system and they color match the fox Mustang harness. I think I will pull a heater box from a SN95 too. I went back and read what the other guy did and he basically laid the cut dash pad over his 84 Tbird frame, then made some L brackets to hold the pad. I'm thinking of swapping columns and pedals so this needs to be solid to the firewall.

Weighing options...

Reply #12
Ya he used to be on here but he got mad and left with all of his pics. That was a shame cause he had some good pics of the swap. I'm using the frame as well as the dash, just haven't got to far with it. I have to get some brackets from a SN-95 and then modify the heater suitcase to mate up with the dash.

I have the complete dash assembly/wiring but not quite ready to get ride of them yet. I will after I get my swap done but you'll probably have yours done by then.  :)

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Weighing options...

Reply #13
I was planning a trip to pull a part today but I got side tracked. I think I can make the frame fit without too much work other than fabbing a bracket and some careful bending. I'm very tempted to grab the heater box, pedal assembly, and steering column bearing from a SN95 firewall. I've been snapping pics here and there. I hope to post a detailed guide when I'm done.