Skip to main content
Topic: Bought a Chevy...or Suzuki...Not sure (Yeah, Boooo!!) (Read 756 times) previous topic - next topic

Bought a Chevy...or Suzuki...Not sure (Yeah, Boooo!!)

Hello,

Because the '88 T-Bird has limitation for snow handling, and due to it being a vehicle I want to keep garaged in the winter (retired) along with another old Lincoln I daily drive, I bought a 2002 Chevy Tracker ZR2 to get around in winter (Just in time).  Winter has been pretty rough so far and it got started around here in early December.  Tonight will be below 0 F with wind.  The story was----the Tracker was meant for an in-law as it was a bargain for the appearance condition it was in (Told the sales guy I wanted something cheap because the person getting it beats up on cars--so appearance meant little to me).  Help---->

The dome light and map lights are dead---tough to get into a dark vehicle in winter.  I checked the wiring at the A Pillar pass side---at the dash level there is a connector I separated.  I powered the dome light/maps there, but the "Door" position of the switch comes up with dim map and dome lighting.  I concluded this may be a Diode??  If so, I have no idea where under the dash a diode could be or look like as installed.  I would have to get a tech manual.  ???  Anyone know something about a typical 3 position dome switch operation (Off--door--On).  I find no other shorts and the fuse is good with 12V pos on the inboard /outboard side of the fuse.  The fuse panel is near the Drivers side kick panel so the positive power never makes it to the A pillar on the other side of the dash.  I also pulled the Daylight Running Lights circuit board and found it to have a failure issue.  There was some comment somewhere on the Web which stated the dome wiring goes through the DRL Module.  Sounds screwy to me. ?

JR