Skip to main content
Topic: Poking help (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

Poking help

I recently completed a 4 to 5 lug conversion, including disc brakes, front and back my front spindles are from a 95 mustang and my front brake components  are from a 2000 mustang. I also used lowering springs front and rear and so when I place my wheels on the rear it fit perfectly no issues but there was a slight poke on my passenger side front wheel, the wheels are a staggered 18 x 10 rear and 18 x 9 front with +24 offset and 5.95 backspacing, tire sizes are 295/35/18 rear and 255/35/18 front .  Any suggestions for resolving this poke?D7B9E5C3-BD02-46DE-8EDD-6FECDB6C02BE.jpg9E9F7C13-F6AC-4840-B325-6D65A81DE5A0.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Re: Poking help

Reply #1
Pretty sure we've beat this horse (bird?) in other threads here before but mostly comes down to 3 options, depending on how attached you are to your existing wheels, and willing to mod the car around them? Or switch to different wheels.

1.Swap to new front wheels with same offset, but not as wide, like an 8".

2. Swap to new front wheels that have same width, but more positive offset, but first check inside clearance between rim and strut, rim and front control arm at full steering lock.

3. Keep all existing wheels, swap to shorter front control arms, bringing spindle inboard approx 3/4", ie Fox Mustang which is 13" from centerline of mounting bolts at Kmember to centerline of balljoint, whereas 87/8 Tbird and SN95 Mustang use basically same 13 3/4" spec control arm. This mod WILL create an undesirable positive camber condition UNLESS you elongate one of the strut mounting holes at the spindle OR elongate the upper strut mount holes at the top of the strut tower and use the MM tbird caster/camber plates. If you do the proper mods, you can regain adjustability back to desirable negative camber of between 1 and 2 degrees...but probably not a whole lot more than that.

Reply #2
That sucks to hear I was pretty sure these wheels would fit I purchased them from LMR originally designed for 94-04 mustangs. These same wheels fit 79-93 mustangs with 5lug   conversion. I’ll take another look at everything. I kinda suspect it maybe the hubs I bought from Amazon.  And I known. Why Amazon?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Reply #3
Unfair comparison. 94-04 Mustang have wider fenders and will take more wheel and tire width and/or less wheel backspacing without the wheels poking outside of the fender edges.  I've seen street driven 94-04 Mustangs using 315mm section width tires on the back and 285's on the front with no fender mods and not sticking out.  Try that with a stock Fox anything. They also have larger wheel openings which allows for larger diameter wheels without tire rub on full turn.

Reply #4
Unfair comparison. 94-04 Mustang have wider fenders and will take more wheel and tire width and/or less wheel backspacing without the wheels poking outside of the fender edges.  I've seen street driven 94-04 Mustangs using 315mm section width tires on the back and 285's on the front with no fender mods and not sticking out.  Try that with a stock Fox anything. They also have larger wheel openings which allows for larger diameter wheels without tire rub on full turn.

There is definitely wheel clearance on full turns  I check already. May have to roll fenders a little. And add  a 1/2in spacer in the rear and be done.  I’m committed to the wheels.

Reply #5
I figured out what the poke was. It the front wheels have two different brands of tire.  The Bridgestone tire brand 255/35/18 is slightly wider than the Michelin brand 255/35/18  When I got the wheels I needed tires right away to take it off the jack stands. Thanks for the help all who responded