Skip to main content
Topic: 83 Digital Dash Fuel Sending Unit Options (Read 1395 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 83 Digital Dash Fuel Sending Unit Options

Reply #15
Not saying this is the right way, but I had my fuel pump die on the side of the road and the clip disintegrated. I clipped off another clip, but there was not gasket at all. I ended up using a 20v hot glue gun.

I actually have a small can of liquid electrical tape I was going to "fill in and paint it up" with to make a gasket if I can't find one.

In case anyone needs to do so if they break theirs the replacement fuel sender connector is standard motor products #903 for mustang fuel senders, says 87-93 but other vehicles used that connector. The #904 is the repair connector for mustang fuel pumps but has offset locating tabs so it won't fit without tpuppies one side of it.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #16
So i got the 84/85 mustang gt fuel sender a few days ago and began some work on it to "make it work" in the tbirds tank.
The sender has 5/16 and 1/4 outlets and was 18" long from the bottom of the plate.

I might pull that up some with a bender since that is the max depth of the tank.
Im having a hard time finding the sweet spot to make the senders arm sweep work in the space in the tank before i solder the sender on. I may have to get creative with it and swap the arm with the one it originally came with.

Reply #18
Any updates to this? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I got a bit sidetracked.
I havent had the car out since i replaced the gas tank and had that break down incident, ive been working on my other car in the meantime because all the stuff i was waiting for came for it.

Im making time to get back at the tbird, and i have to grab the parts again to finish this other fuel sender with return line. Finding the sweet spot to mount it was the issue i was figuring out when i stopped.
The first fuel sender i put in was working, but i need to run a few tanks thru it first.
Ill have updates soon.

Reply #19
Groovy, thanks.

So the electrical connector on the Mustang sender...it is the same as your stock T-Bird one?

I'm currently writing an article about replacing fuel system components for the website and like you, I found that some of these units  (especially the fuel pump with sending unit combo) are just not directly replaceable. And it doesn't help that 1983-84 components seem to be unique. In those instances you'd either have to modify something else, as you're doing, or have your stock one rebuilt. One of the big 'ifs' is that connector and I'm just trying to clarify from your experience with these.

I just had my total fuel system replaced...new tank, hanger assembly, sending unit. Luckily these are still available, although I had to install a used filler neck as they're not available new anymore. I was fortunate and got a Mustang sending unit to work without much issue.

I've also heard that Tempo/Topaz senders might work, haven't verified that though.

Reply #20
It should be, but ill double check on that.

Reply #21
They are the same.

Reply #22
Awesome, thanks for the verification.

So in your opinion, if someone had an buttstuffog gauge in an early car (1983-85) and wanted to use a Mustang sender, is that the most feasible route for a brand new sender, with modifications of course?

Reply #23
If they didnt need the return line they could probably use the bronco II one right out of the box just "bending" it to shape for an buttstuffog cluster.

Reply #24
Alright, good. And if they do need a return line...?

(Guessing it's going to be either an experiment or getting the old one refurbished using a service. Or use a Fox Mustang sender and modify.)

Reply #25
I havent finished making the mustang fuel sender yet, so i cant say for sure yet on it.
They do make add on fittings that install on aftermarket efi fuel senders for custom tank jobs, im looking at those right now as well.

Reply #26
Ahhhh okay, hopefully something Mustang-ish works as that's going to be a future-proof solution for us.

I've had my eyes on this super-cool aftermarket fuel level sender...
https://www.holley.com/products/gauges_and_gauge_accessories/gauge_accessories_and_harnesses/parts/19-250

...but here's the rub:

Easy to program the level of any tank and electronic gauge - does not work with OE style gauges that utilize an ohm only input

Understood why it needs an aftermarket gauge, because those run straight off 12v and don't really care about the ohms coming from the sending unit. Since we're dealing with a stepped-down 5v gauge and different ranges of resistance, it's unclear if this could even be adapted to our cars. But I absolutely love this concept though.

Reply #27
I looked at fully aftermarket senders and they all had something that said this wont work for me. Most require cutting a new hole in the tank for them, which i wasnt going to do even though it was a new tank.
Im going to smuggle the mustang sender stuff back into work so i can finish it.

Reply #28
I finally have some time off this weekend so i can take out the car and fully test out the sender.

Reply #29
this thread is a keeper the the ultra hard to find info on cluster.  I used the summit general purpose sender for my "other" 87 coug.,, not my 20th.