Skip to main content
Topic: bumper "back to black" repair? (Read 4906 times) previous topic - next topic

bumper "back to black" repair?

my apologies if there is a thread started on this already, i did a quick search and didnt locate anything.

I have an 87 Thunderbird.  It is by no means a show queen, but i want it to look somewhat respectable, at least from 40 feet away at highway speeds.

the Black trim on the bumpers has faded away. showing that wonderful yellow underneath that im sure we all recognize.

here's a picture to help with the visual end of things.

Far from the best pic, i know, but you understand.

So, what's a great, relatively low cost solution to make them black again?

Reply #1
Black plastidip!!
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #2
just mask off and spray?  or is there more prep work involved?

Reply #3
I got a bit of yellow peeping through on the back my car too. I've been thinking if it's worth just have a paint/body shop just take it back down and re-spray. What would that cost be like?

Reply #4
For 1987-88 cars, it's pretty easy to mask off the moldings and paint them yourself if you don't have deep gouges that need filled. Toughest part is sanding and masking. I usually recommend SEM trim paint (in this case, a gloss black) but there are lots more options on the market today that work equally well.

Reply #5
oh, i can sand and mask.  is that SEM paint offered in rattle can, or do i need to go dust off my cup gun?

Reply #6
It's available in a spray can. Most auto paint shops should carry it; if not, The Eastwood Company has it but it's not cheap with shipping costs. FYI, AutoZone and Pep Boys should have the Duplicolor equivalent in stock.

Reply #7
good to know.  with winter time in full effect in Iowa now, i probably wont get a warm enough day to do it till spring now, but oh well, i got time to shake down the rest of the car.

Reply #8
The SEM trim paint stuff self primes okay?

Reply #9
Ya, the SEM stuff is pretty good. I use it at work a lot, although I use the OEM finish type.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]