Skip to main content
Topic: Original cars, owners, dospoogeentation (Read 66205 times) previous topic - next topic

Original cars, owners, dospoogeentation

Reply #30
Quote from: daminc;287578
I got mine and I'm afraid to remove it.

Mine was under the passenger seat like that except it was literally reminants of brown paper stuck in the springs that could not possibly be saved. Chunks of the paper kept falling out.

Reply #31
Quote from: BCA;287706
The build sheet for my car, or I should say what was left of it, was on top of the gas tank. I found it when I dropped the tank to change the fuel pump. There was a piece of tape and one very small corner of it left. There was just enough of the printing on that corner that you could tell it was the build sheet but it was useless other than that.

I have 99% complete build sheet that I recently acquired from another member here that is from a 1986 XR-7 and he said it was also found on top of the gas tank so they did still put them on top of the tanks at on at least some of the cars.

As far as build dates go, there was a build date that was “ink stamped” on the car when it went down the line. I have found that most ’85-’86 cars have it on the driver side shock tower and that most ’87-’88 cars have it on the radiator support. It is a yellow number with the month and day. Most likely though it will only still be there if the engine compartment was never thoroughly cleaned as it doesn’t take much effort to wipe it away if any kind of cleaner/degreaser was used.

Here are a couple of examples. The first is from an ’85 XR-7 that was built on June 25th (6 25).

The second is from an ’88 Turbo Coupe built on June 28th (0628).

Note that the date stamp on the ’85 car has a single digit for the month of June “6” and the there is a space in between the month and day.
Where on the '88 car it is a two digit for the same month "06" and there is no space between the month and day.

Brent

Now I know what I washed away with engine degreaser:hick: . What ever little bit of that stamp that was left is covered by the 2 re-paints I've done of the engine bay. Now I need to figure out what day the car was made and reproduce that stamp some how.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #32
The build sheet for my car, or I should say what was left of it, was on top of the gas tank.......
Brent

Interesting, (just like Corvettes) :hick:  I'm sure if there was a build sheet on top of the gas tank, it's long gone by now on most of our cars.

Here are a couple of examples. The first is from an ’85 XR-7 that was built on June 25th (6 25).

The second is from an ’88 Turbo Coupe built on June 28th (0628).

Brent

I found the ink stamp on the DS shock tower on my 83 TBird built in Lorain and also what looks to be an inspectors stamp on the rear where the license plate fits. Anyone else find a stamp here?

Were your two example built at the same plant?

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. Keep it coming but remember to specify the year and where the car was built.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #33
Quote from: hwy73;287836
This is the window sticker for my car, an 88 XR-7 built at Lorain in November 1987.
The build sheet was found under the rear seat cushion.
And the buck tag.

Nice examples of original dospoogeentation!!! Do you still have the car?
tbirdregistry.com

Ink stamps

Reply #34
Anyone have an Atlanta car with ink stamps?  I'm trying to figure out if Atlanta didn't use them or mine on my 83TC are missing, cleaned off, or just hard to find.

It's amazing how easy they are to find when you know where to look!

I didn't find any at the usual spots.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #35
I have found 2 build sheets on top of gas tanks in Cougars now.  On my other Cougar (86 GS)it was under the passenger seat just like the one pictured and was shredded by the springs.  The first was an 86 XR7 with 50k on it I used for parts.  It was complete and all original when I got it.  Here is a scan of that build sheet (before I sent to Brent)

The other was on top of the gas tank of my 84 Cougar.  It has 40k on it and is also all original.  Here is the build sheet and a pic of the date stamping.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #36
i have the same for mcguard too

Reply #37
couple of dates.car was delivered to the customer
on june 10-1988. was dealer traded from a dealer in
valparaiso, in.only difference from the other sticker above
is a power antenna.they paid 17238.32 incl tax,
rustproofing and fabric protection.--irv

Reply #38
pic of the key tags. anyone have a picture of the 88
cassette demo tape. ive got a bunch of the old ones
but not sure which is correct. none have an E8 #.
anyone have oics of other interior hanging tags and
the radio overlay that was supposed to be removed
by the customer. had a new 89 mustang GT that i
saved all the interior stuff and window sticker.

Reply #39
Can someone measure how tall the build date stamp numbers are? I'd like to reproduce mine but I need to know how big thay are. They look to be about 1/4" tall but I want to make sure.

Also does any one have an idea as to where all the paint dots and marks were that the factory applied? It would be kinda neat to know where they were and what color they used for each location.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #40
guess you will have to take a road trip and look at my cougar
on the hoist.this what you mean?

Reply #41
I measured the date stamping on my 84 and it was just a hair taller than .25 inch
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #42
Quote from: irv;288541

Um, it probably is. So, does that car have 12 miles on it or is it 13? Geez, is it clean and original enough under there??
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #43
56000. the whole bottom was rustproofed when new.this
is what i found when i took it off.its like a time capsule
almost.it came from grand rapids mi. and lived with the first owner
for 20 years.the only surface or any rust is on the axle tubes.
it could be yours.

Reply #44
Quote from: irv;288541

That and the under hood paint marks. Thanks:D

Quote from: Loaded87IROC;288569
I measured the date stamping on my 84 and it was just a hair taller than .25 inch

That's what I needed. Thanks :D