Skip to main content
Topic: T-Bird Resto/Mod UPDATE 3-16-18 (Read 81604 times) previous topic - next topic

T-Bird Resto/Mod UPDATE 3-16-18

Reply #285
LOL, ya ok........... I'll start the grafting someday.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #286
Not much but here's a couple of pics with the trim and key in the door. Another pic from the side of the hood.

X

X

X

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #287
Just a bit of experience talking....build a very strong routine of shutting off the car and removing the key from the ignition with your lock mod. Or get a mag key box and hide a spare under the car someplace.
I shaved the handles on my 89 ranger and didn't want poppers, so I did the same as you have here.
One night at the dragstrip(40 miles from home) it started to rain as I was loading up. Hopped in the truck, moved to the other side of the lane nearer my pile of stuff, rolled up the windows and hopped out. The door closed itself, with the truck running. It sat and idled while I begged a ride back home for the spare key...NOT funny.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #288
Ok.......I'll stop.......chuckling...... Thanks for the advice, I learned that many moons ago when I was driving a brand new semi up in Canada. I left it running, jumped out to throw away some trash and KNEW I hadn't locked the door. When I tried to open it, it was locked. Lucky for me there was a mobile locksmith at the truckstop and he opened it for me. Found out that if you close a door too hard on Freightshakers, that most of the time, they'll lock themselves :(
Ever since then, I've kept a spare key in my wallet. Knowing this has saved my a** several times since. :hick:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Finally another tiny update

Reply #289
I have the car up on stands once again and have been tinkering. I dropped the IRS back out and completely tore it apart. I lengthened the front mounting points and relocated the rear mounting brackets so it goes in & out easily. I also removed the mounting point bushings so I can install urethane bushings. I've also ordered new urethane upper & lower control arm bushings.  I'm also cleaning up the casting lines on the control arms.
I watched a video by Full Tilt Boogie Racing on replacing those bushings and didn't realize just how bound up the IRS is with the stock rubber bushings are. For some reason, I'm having issues uploading pictures right now. I'll try again later to post them.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #290
I'd love to have an IRS, but that is a job I'm not willing to take on.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #291
Aweeee Vinnie  you know you wanna do it.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #292
I do.....but I'm not. LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #293
Well Vinnie, if we move like we're planning to in a yr &1/2 (wife's job) I'd be somewhat closer to help do the swap LOL

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #294
Sorry for the extra large pic. I took some 3/4" plate and had some spacers made and I also had some slightly smaller diameter tube cut to 3/4" length. I drilled some holes on each side of the cut line on each side of the cradle. I then welded those small tubes to the spacer on the inside, then slid the spacer with the smaller tubes into each side and tacked them in place. i reinstalled the cradle and readjusted the rear mounting brackets accordingly. I tacked the front pieces more so when i removed the cradle they wouldn't move. I had beveled were I needed so I could get some good deep welds and welded them in entirely. I also welded in a couple pieces of heavy sheet metal on the bottom.

X

Now i need to prep the cradle for some new paint :hick:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #295
Man, that's awesome work. NICE!!! As far as mine goes, I think I'll keep the rear the way it is. LOL. It works great.

Reply #296
Thanks Vinnie. The control arm bushings I ordered should arrive tomorrow. It's taking a little longer cause Monday I hurt my back delivering a refrigerator. Go figure.  Anyway, while taking a lot of breaks, I did manage to get the calipers and brackets repainted. I stripped off the blue and repainted them a different color. I'll post pics when I can figure why I can't post anything from my tablet.  I'm still working on the control arms, cleaning up the casting flash.
I've also been considering that since I have the whole IRS apart, now would be a good time to swap in the 4:30 gears that I've had.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #297
4.30's? Holy . LOL. That's a bunch of gear. LOL.

Reply #298
I agree with Vinnie, only I said  that’s a lot of gear, out loud. LOL.

Mod motors do like rpm, those will get it there. I had 4.56 gears in a 68 mustang for about two weeks once upon a time. They were great fun but after the first trip more than 30 miles they got replaced. It was like driving around in low 2, so with overdrive I would think it will be like driving with a 3 speed trans with about a 3.00 rear gear, which really isn’t that bad.  Did you plug the numbers into a gear ratio calculator to see what rpm’s would be at different speeds?  I think I remember reading that this was going to be an auto x car, but it’s going to be so nice your going to want to road tour with it, at least I would.

Reply #299
Quote from: vinnietbird;465106
4.30's? Holy . LOL. That's a bunch of gear. LOL.

Quote from: bodyman;465114
I agree with Vinnie, only I said  that’s a lot of gear, out loud. LOL.

Mod motors do like rpm, those will get it there. I had 4.56 gears in a 68 mustang for about two weeks once upon a time. They were great fun but after the first trip more than 30 miles they got replaced. It was like driving around in low 2, so with overdrive I would think it will be like driving with a 3 speed trans with about a 3.00 rear gear, which really isn’t that bad.  Did you plug the numbers into a gear ratio calculator to see what rpm’s would be at different speeds?  I think I remember reading that this was going to be an auto x car, but it’s going to be so nice your going to want to road tour with it, at least I would.

LOL, ya true, that’s a lot of gear. I do plan on some road course and/or a little x-cross. I do also want to run the whole Route 66 cruise as well as the Hot Power Tour some year before they stop doing that. Yes I have a speed calculator and I input the T-45 gear ratios and it came out to 75.04 mph @ 2600 rpm. I will also be installing a rear diff cooler and with the IIRC butterflies removed, the engine will probably love ‘em.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]