Skip to main content
Topic: Trading cars. (Read 3116 times) previous topic - next topic

Trading cars.

Its time to get rid of this bird. Right now I need to put more work into it then it is worth. I'm looking at about $500 just in parts to fix my front end suspension. I don't think that the car will pass a safety inspection at the end of the month. Ever since the wreck, the car just has not been the same. I have decided to bring back my old 87 v-6 cougar, v-8 style.:burnout:

Basically, my bird will be the donor, the cat will be the receiver. Which springs would be better off? v-6, or the v-8 set? Where both cars at the ls/lx model, are the springs the same?

From what I gather, the engine swap is very straight forward, just swap motor/harness. From what I under stand, even the stock v-6 computer might run the v-8. Maybe something I'll try just for fun, but I do have the v-8 computer anyways. Do I also have to swap fuel lines?

All I need for the cougar is a trunklid, and a right hand side tail light. I may or may not throw in a new motor with the H.O. upgrades. Right now I have everything for the H.O., except for the fuel injectors, and a pump change.

Should be fun to be back in a cougar instead of this car.

PS, guess where my bird got the front end and fender from?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Trading cars.

Reply #1
$500.00 for front suspension parts? Holy .It can be done a lot cheaper.Plus,with any engine swap,and all the other parts to swap,it always costs.Little bits here and there. Fluids,a seal here or there,maybe some gaskets,always some misc...it always happens. Just repair what you have and make something special out of it. If it's running well,then you already have the hard part done.

As soon as you swap everything into the Cougar,you'll find issues with that car as well,and it'll cost as well.It goes along with these cars.Part of the game so to speak.

If the V-6 car has the parts that are good,swap them on to your running Bird.Suspension and whatever other pieces you need.I swapped my strut mounts,steering rack,steering pump and high pressure line,control arms,springs,and tie rod ends in just a few hours.Just time and patience.I gather parts when I can until I have all the pieces to the puzzle,then I assemble it all.

With the V-6 to V-8 swap,I'm sure you'll need to swap the fuel lines as well.

I have a decent set of injectors you can have for $15.00 shipped. That'll cover shipping.

That's all my own opinion.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Trading cars.

Reply #2
the 3.8 eec will NOT run a 5.0, at least not the '88 versions.

You don't *need* the fuel lines, but swapping them will be "plug 'n play" compared to hacking and modding the 3.8 lines.

Springs: there's a difference between v6 and v8 springs, I'd use either with a v8, but only v6 springs with a 3.8, as the 5.0 springs will have to much rebound for the lighter engined front. Or that's what I read, I think on CoolCats. Never know, but it seems rather common-sense to me.

I agree with Vinnie, swap the needed suspension stuff, easier than yanking an engine and necessary wiring, etc.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Trading cars.

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;335154
$500.00 for front suspension parts? Holy .It can be done a lot cheaper.Plus,with any engine swap,and all the other parts to swap,it always costs.Little bits here and there. Fluids,a seal here or there,maybe some gaskets,always some misc...it always happens. Just repair what you have and make something special out of it. If it's running well,then you already have the hard part done....

If the V-6 car has the parts that are good,swap them on to your running Bird.Suspension and whatever other pieces you need.I swapped my strut mounts,steering rack,steering pump and high pressure line,control arms,springs,and tie rod ends in just a few hours.Just time and patience.I gather parts when I can until I have all the pieces to the puzzle,then I assemble it all.

With the V-6 to V-8 swap,I'm sure you'll need to swap the fuel lines as well.

I have a decent set of injectors you can have for $15.00 shipped. That'll cover shipping.

That's all my own opinion.

Thank you for the offer. Basically, the body is in very good shape on the cougar, as well as the paint, even after sitting all of these years. My power steering rack is leaking, and the lines are new and I have swapped the pump. It looks like it is cracked on the housing where one of the lines goes in. This is also a problem I have already fixed on this car. The tie rods are shot and cost $42 each. shocks all around need replaced, and the swaybar end links, and all of the bushings are shot. Overall, I am looking at close to $500 in parts, and want to replace them with new everything, if I go that way.

When I bought this cougar, I really liked it, but broke the timing chain cover with how green I was working on cars. My father got married, and I had no where to park the car, and I literally have not been able to give the car away. It always finds its way back to me. The interior is perfect, and the outside has no real dents, just a couple of door dings. I have a vision of how I want my car to look, and I just don't think the thunderbird fits the bill.

To be honest, this car just seems to have been bad luck for me. It was my first wreck, and people back into me while I am parked all the time. Just a couple of days ago, my trunk popped up on me while I was on the freeway. I tied it down and looked into it after work, and someone backed into my car and bent the whole back panel and trunk lid, somehow missing my tail lights. I have been backed into in parking lots probably 4 times in about 2 months, an have had a person run into me while stopped at a red light. I really just hate this car. It has been a good car overall. I mean, in less then a year, I have put almost 40,000 miles on it. I have 178,000 on it right now, and it was at 137XXX when I bought it. The car has no power, I have a used v-6 radiator in it, and have mickey moused alot of things to keep it on the road, and its starting to catch up with me. At one point, I was driving over 150 miles a day, 7 days a week, and it was my only car. I am actually going on about 35,000 miles without an oil change, mostly because of how bad it leaks and how much the car has been in service. I have changed the oil filter from time to time, but not regularly. I have gone over a couple of curbs in the car, with my long commute and winter driving, drove it for almost a full year of pizza delivery, a basically have done almost everything your not supposed to do in a car. The spark just isn't there for me.

I know getting rid of it will not fix this bad luck, but I just want a cougar again. The thunderbird has just never really felt right.

My plans are to convert as much electronics to manual/buttstuffog as possible. The thunderbird has EATC, power everything, and the interior is in bad shape. The cougar, is almost the oposite, but still has some power stuff, like seats and windows, but is more right. I also plan on swapping on a 85-86 4 eyed header panel, 87-88 tbird front bumper cover, and I want to try some body work on this car. To be honest, if I had an extra 3.8 laying around, I would seriously consider keeping it a 3.8. I am over getting sideways every corner and going through tires. I really just want a basic car, in fairly good shape, and have time to go over everything and fix it right. I am at the point in my life, where I need a car to just drive, and be reliable. I have a new motor, a good bodied car, and another that needs just about everything replaced.

Basically, I want to do a real life winter rebuild, and have time and a place to do so. I am getting the station wagon on the road this month, and the thunderbird's registration expires next month. To me it is an open and shut decision. I hate to kill a car, but sometimes you have to, to let another one live. I will use as much out of the thunderbird as I can, and will not just throw it away.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Trading cars.

Reply #4
Well,I say if you're going to build the Cougar,do it right the first time,and exercise a lot of patience. Make it really nice and don't "mickey Mouse" anything.If you can't do it right,then wait until you can before you work on it.I hope it works out for oyu.I see a lot of people here get started on a project,and then end up just slamming it together in the name of getting it done then end up unhappy because it's not right. Plan it out,and do quality work.Again,good luck.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Trading cars.

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;335527
Well,I say if you're going to build the Cougar,do it right the first time,and exercise a lot of patience. Make it really nice and don't "mickey Mouse" anything.If you can't do it right,then wait until you can before you work on it.I hope it works out for oyu.I see a lot of people here get started on a project,and then end up just slamming it together in the name of getting it done then end up unhappy because it's not right. Plan it out,and do quality work.Again,good luck.

x2, and sorry I have your trunk lid. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Trading cars.

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;335527
I see a lot of people here get started on a project,and then end up just slamming it together in the name of getting it done then end up unhappy because it's not right.

That'd be me. Part of why my project is on hold...it's all coming apart, getting cleaned/stripped, sanded, repainted or coated, and back together like new. Probably won't be quite as involved as Jerry's, or nearly as fast, but I hope none of us have died from old age before I get to show it to you all :rollin:

Good advice Vinnie, but some things we just have learn the hard way. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Trading cars.

Reply #7
I see people spend a lot of money,time,and effort,then just throw it away.With my car's "zero dollar" budget,I've learned to make every penny and opportunity I can work for the car and leave something to show for it.

Trading cars.

Reply #8
As far as ghetto rigging things, the plastic mount that holds the throttle bracket and TV broke. I cut up an alluminum can tab to hold the TV in the bracket, and wrapped a metal coat hangar around the throttle cable to stop it from moving. This was supposed to be a one day/get me home type of deal. Because of it, I only have maybe 60% throttle, and the car will not down shift unless your going the perfect speed. As long as you are moving at all, it will shift into second, and stay there till about 5mph, even when floored. The gas pedal also sticks when it has been sitting for a while. It sticks up, not floored though. The whole cougar front end is another thing. The radio only works from one blown speaker. The window on the passenger side is jammed in the track. I can't get it to go up, or down. Because of the mixture of the bad oil leak, and me being broke, I have ran the oil too low a couple of times. It now shudders when you start it for the first second or two, sounds like something in the bottom end. The radiator cooler line is bent, from my wreck, and leaks ever so slightly. The dimmer switch does not work. Every time I drive at night, I have no dash. If you lean on the car, the whole suspension will wiggle left and right, and it feels like your going to lose control at freeway speeds.

I could go on all day. I have put alot of money into the car, and it has served me well, but I either need a ton of money to fix it, as well as down time, or I need to start from scratch.

Oh and Jerry, keep the trunk lid. Its nice to see someone that does have the patience to keep a car, rather then replace it.(understatement of the century) Don't let it bother you at all. I can get another trunk lid, probably for the same price or less you got mine for. Somehow I always luck out in the parts department.

I have big plans for this cougar, and will take my time and do it right. I wouldn't be where I am today without the help and support of this forum.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Trading cars.

Reply #9
after really looking into this, I may just keep the bird. I can pull all the parts off the cougar and swap them in. It makes more sense. I know what needs fixed on the thunderbird. I just need to make a list and do them right, one at a time. Right now, I am working on getting some money together to get the exhaust fixed on the crownvic. This will be done, possibly by the end of the week. I'll take some pics when I get it done.

I'm looking to fix all the problems I have created with this car. I plan on going manual breaks, steering, and heater. I would be very interested in a heater only heater panel. I am going to remove the power seats, and the power locks ect. Basically, I am going to make the car a stripper. I am going to put new struts and suspension in the car. I am not sure what I am going to do with the front end. I would really like to go 4-eye, but it really doesn't seem to flow well with the lines of the car. Looks are going to be secondary.

I also plan on pulling the motor and getting my rebuilt one thrown in, H.O. spec. I am going to pull off the smog pump, a.c., powersteering and anything else I can. I want to get it to just alt and water pump. I want to get a toploader put in there too, but finding one is sort of difficult. I could almost buy a car with one in it for the price some of these guys want for the one I want. Maybe if I can find a newer 3.8 t-5 for cheap I will go that route.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Trading cars.

Reply #10
Is it your daily driver with the family?If so,make the a/c work. I never had mine running,always had the a/c delete because we always had the wife's car for trips,but,this year,we finally wanted to take some road trips with the car club,and had to pass due to heat.Not a good thing taking the wife and kids in a car that's as hot as an oven inside,even with the windows down.A/C doesn't use enough power to make a difference,and it doesn't weigh enough to make a real difference unless you're in an all out drag car. I thought about deleting a lot on the Sport,but,decided wrestling with the car all of the time wasn't worth it. I want it quick,looking good,and comfortable.Nothing like blowing the doors off of some local while I have my a/c on.LOL.

Trading cars.

Reply #11
Quote from: Haystack;338091
I would be very interested in a heater only heater panel.
Those exist? I need one lol
Quote from: Haystack;338091
Maybe if I can find a newer 3.8 t-5 for cheap I will go that route.
Are you talking conversion? cause nothing other than 94/95 mustangs came stock with a 3.8/t-5 combo
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Trading cars.

Reply #12
Whats the color scheme on that cougar?

Looks like blue over gray in the picture
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Trading cars.

Reply #13
The car has no power, I have a used v-6 radiator in it, and have mickey moused alot of things to keep it on the road, and its starting to catch up with me. At one point, I was driving over 150 miles a day, 7 days a week, and it was my only car. I am actually going on about 35,000 miles without an oil change, mostly because of how bad it leaks and how much the car has been in service. I have changed the oil filter from time to time, but not regularly. I have gone over a couple of curbs in the car, with my long commute and winter driving, drove it for almost a full year of pizza delivery, a basically have done almost everything your not supposed to do in a car. The spark just isn't there for me.

Seems like a bad idea to swap the motors..... Lack of maintenance and rigging stuff on your current motor makes it a bad candidate for a swap, and like vinnie was saying, the little parts to get it right would add up quick.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Trading cars.

Reply #14
There are many factors at play here. I was actually trying to blow the motor up in this car, so I could throw the new one in. Or, if I could find another 5.0 car, to just get fir of this car and get that.

The car would be a DD, but I would be the only one to drive it. The crown vic I just bought the wife will have A/C, and will be the family car. I have never had working A/C in one of my cars till the crown vic. You don't miss what you don't have.

The cougar was two tone blue, kind of a baby blue with a little bit of metallic, and a darker blue on bottom.

I wouldn't say that I want an all out drag car, but I personally do not care for power options, or the headaches that they cause. I have never had a problem trouble shooting them, but they are more trouble then they are worth. I had my starter solinoid go bad on me while I was at a gas station. I had no tools with me, from when I was helping my Dad with his van, I left them. I popped the hood, pulled the cable off and pushed the car away from the gas pump. Then I sat in the car waiting for someone to come bail me out. With the battery off, I couldn't roll down the window, or recline the seat. That was enough to push me over the edge.

I do not necessarily want to wrestle my car to the ground every time I drive it, but I want to just go back to a K.I.S.S. type of setup. I am going to delete every vacuum line that does not keep the car running. I am probably only going to run alt, waterpump and crank for the front accessories. I have not decided for sure on an electric fan, but it will probably happen in the future, to help with rotational mass.

I want to delete the power brakes. I am going to upgrade to larger front brakes. Mainly, because one of my spindles is bent, and if I am going to re-buy everything, I might as well upgrade. Run a proportioning valve to help with the smaller front tires, and move more brake power to the rear. I will not be autocrossing the car, I just want a fun, simple driving car for me, and me only. Something that I can just throw around for fun.

I really just believe that people have become accustomed to being more comfortable in there car then their own home. I do not need power windows, or seats, mirrors, heater, automatic headlights, the list goes on forever.

Here is the basic plan.
Delete power brakes.
Delete A/C, run an A/C core where the heater core goes.
Downgrade to manual heater.
Downgrade to either 4-eyed headlights, or back to a 87-88 bird front end.
Downgrade to manual seats, windows, possibly mirror(Don't know how hard that one would be, not alot of them to choose from.)
Gut behind the dash, get rid of all the power wires for power options.
Manual transmission. I would like a toploader, may settle for a t-5.
Swap brakes to 11", possibly disc rear end.
New parts for the suspension. I am not sure which way to go for this yet.
Delete power steering.
Delete most if not all vacuum lines, Except for MAP.
H.O. upgrade. I might go gt40p heads If I can find them cheap, stock cam, and gt40 intake. Dual exhaust, probably stock mustang shorties.

There is quite a bit more I plan on doing, but money is going to get the limiting factor, as well as parts availability. And yes, some of these things might be stupid, but they are things that I want to do. I am not going to necessarily gut the car, I am just going to make it what I think it should be. I might be better off starting with a stripper i-4 mustang.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.