Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe (Read 15066 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

My 5.0 swap is well underway guys.  Here's where I'm at.  The turbo 4 is long gone, as is the A4LD tranny.  I've already cleaned up my engine compartment and painted it. 

Not long ago, I installed the EEC harness, an A9P ECM and installed my 5.0 fuel pump harness. 

To keep things looking good, I reloomed my EEC harness, as well as the PRC harness while they were easy to get to.  After those harnesses were done, I installed my TAB sensor, my TAD sensor and my EGR solenoid on the passenger side strut tower. 

When that was done, I pulled the driver's side fender and removed the 4 cylinder cruise control servo.  When that servo was keeping the bottom of the trash can company, I installed the V8 cruise control servo and hooked it up to the amplifier.  While I was all crammed up under the driver's side of the dash, I also hooked the V8 throttle cable to the gas pedal. 

After that was all done, I went over to the other side of the engine compartment and removed the passenger side wheel well.  With that out of the way, I mounted the V8 fuel vapor canister and the vacuum ball. 
The next thing I wanted to address was the fuel system.  The first thing I did was replace the pump.  I I dropped the tank and replaced that worthless little stock pump with a 190 lph Walbro. 

After I finished with the pump, I removed the old nylon fuel hose and replaced it with new nylon hose. 

At this point, I have everything I'm going to need to finish my car except the GT-40 engine, the converter and a few ancillary things like the heater hoses, distributor cap, rotor and serpentine belt.. 

I contacted Dirty Dog Performance today and gave Alan the go-ahead to build my converter, so I'll have that before long.  I've got Mac long-tubes and a matching H-pipe already.  I do still need to get the Mac Flowpath lers I'm gonna run and tailpipes though.

Today was spent cleaning and painting all the engine parts that are required to run a GT-40 engine in a Fox chassis car.  I've even got a TFS "Stage 1" cam, a set of Trick Flow valve springs and a timing gear set already.

Soon, I'll have the money to buy the engine.  Once I have the engine, it shouldn't be long before I have this thing up and running. 
I know a lot of you would have bought the engine first, but I thought it was best to buy it last.  I wanted to have my car wired, prepped and ready, so that all I have to do is prep the engine for installation, drop it in, then plug and play.

I definitely could have gotten a lot of these things done in a much quicker fashion, but I've been enjoying the work so much, I've just been taking my time.  Man I'm having a great time putting this car together!
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #1
Sounds like you were looking over my shoulder, I worked on mine off and on for about three months to get everything ready for the 5.0... Dropped it in and fired her up...

I did wait to install the cruse cable(you don't need to replace the complete servo, cables will swap, I still have the original in mine), can be done by pulling inner fender panel...

I also repl the heater core while I had things torn apart...

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #2
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;242028
Sounds like you were looking over my shoulder, I worked on mine off and on for about three months to get everything ready for the 5.0... Dropped it in and fired her up...

I did wait to install the cruse cable(you don't need to replace the complete servo, cables will swap, I still have the original in mine), can be done by pulling inner fender panel...

I also repl the heater core while I had things torn apart...

So you pulled the dash out of your car?  Wow!  You really did go the whole nine yards when you did your swap. 

I saw where you said that you replaced your ATC with an MTC.  I can't think of a better time to do that than when you have your dash out of the car.

I figured I'd give the ATC a try, so I can see how much I like it.  If it gets on my nerves too much, I'll do what you did and switch to an MTC.
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #3
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;242040
I saw where you said that you replaced your ATC with an MTC. 

Wasn't me, I've always had the manual system...

My heater core was orig and seeping slightly, so I pulled dash to install the EEC harness, a piece O cake with the dash loose...

BTW, I connected all the sensors to the harness and scanned the EEC for codes prior to installing the engine... Only had two, the transmission switch wasn't connected, and I left the F/P disconnected cause I didn't want to run the new pump...

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #4
'Twas Claude who swapped out the ATC.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

It was Claude huh?

Reply #5
Quote from: V8Demon;242075

I had that all screwed up.  I wonder why I thought it was Tom that did that.
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #6

I thought he swapped it into his car? :dunno:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #7

Quote from: thunderjet302;242251
I thought he swapped it into his car? :dunno:

Claude swapped "out" the ATC... He swapped "in" the MTC...

Or maybe I have it backwards???

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #8
Not long ago, I bought an EVTM off Ebay.  Well, it finally came today.  Needless to say, I didn't waste any time digging into the various schematics.  One of the first things I did, was to look up the wiring for the low-oil level warning system. 
The book showed that the wire that needs to run to the low oil sensor plug, is in a 4 pin connector (in the dash harness), located behind the master cylinder.  The wire in question is white, with a pink stripe.  For anyone who does a 5.0 swap in a TC, at least you'll know now what wire to splice into to get your low oil level light to function.  :D
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #9
Hold on dude...here in a couple of days my House Hold Goods will arrive here in Australia and I did a TC 5.0 swap back in 2004 and wrote all of the notes in a notebook. I can tell you which wires can go where to make everything work (Cruise, AC, Ride Control, ABS, Electric Heated Nut Scratcher). With Tom's help in '04 I would have never made it to the finish line without these notes.

I guess that it did not help since I made my own wiring harness from a 93 stang harness which was the "HARD WAY".

Dallas

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #10
Quote from: Lightningbird;248958
Hold on dude...here in a couple of days my House Hold Goods will arrive here in Australia and I did a TC 5.0 swap back in 2004 and wrote all of the notes in a notebook. I can tell you which wires can go where to make everything work (Cruise, AC, Ride Control, ABS, Electric Heated Nut Scratcher). With Tom's help in '04 I would have never made it to the finish line without these notes.

I guess that it did not help since I made my own wiring harness from a 93 stang harness which was the "HARD WAY".

Dallas

Hey thanks for the offer of help Dallas.  Since I was able to get my hands on an EVTM recently, I should be able to get everything wired up properly.  If I still need help though, I'll definitely look you up Buddy.  Thanks again.
William

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #11
hello is there any way i can get the wiring diagram showing what pins/wires needing to be changed to swap my 2.3 to a 5.0 . i thought i seen it some where before but cant seam to find it . i have both cars the tc and the sport (the sport was wrecked other plans for it later on ) but want to get rid of the 4banger and any info would be a big help to prepare for the swap i hope to do it in 3 days. so anything i can do to make it easyier would be great . like i said i got the harness from the sport to use but would like to keep some of the tc's options like abs. ride control.  etc... if possible . any help now would be a big help. plus will the 5.0 bolt up to the 5 speed manaul im sure it will like i said i want to do this over a weekend so i can still use the car to go back and forth to work.as it is my DD. i can and have in the past on other cars swaped engines and had the going in the same day longass days and they were the same engine (3.0 taurus for a 3.0 taurus ) but nothing like a 4banger to v8 . sorry for the bother but missing the sound of my duals love being heard before seen :shakeass:
                                                              thanks
                                                                Aaron

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #12
Trust me, it isn't a weekend swap(but I work slow)... If you aren't good with electrical, don't even consider it...

For wiring, use the 5.0 engine/EEC harness, but retain the ABS/ride control portion of the original(note the TC has two harnesses)... Still nothing is going to plug in, but most circuits have the same color so it's mostly matching wire color... 

You'll only be able to use the original T5 if you have a complete 5.0 clutch assembly which includes flywheel, bellhousing,
 clutch cable[COLOR="Red"](this means swapping pedal assembly to a cable type)[/COLOR], and a '89 Probe pilot bearing due to the input shaft pilot is a different size than the 5.0 transmission... You'd be much better off with a V8 tranny, they are stronger and have gear ratios that are far better suited for the 5.0...

Dominator did a write up using a automatic(like I did), I'll see if I can locate the post...

EDIT

Here ya go....

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=17374&highlight=swap

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #13
thank you turbocoupe50 that will work out great. i was planing on pulling everything from my sport and do as much preping as posible. before i do the swap :hick: i do have some electrical and mechical back ground. heating and air / computers /engineering (the engineering was something i took in high school and computers i took in collage ) but thank you for the link i will be using it in the future 
                    Aaron

5.0 Meet Turbo Coupe

Reply #14
any update on this?  I'm enjoying the read and the pointers as I will really be needing them :D