Skip to main content
Topic: On the point of clutches... (Read 930 times) previous topic - next topic

On the point of clutches...

I'm starting to seriously consider a T5 swap.  What are the community thoughts on clutch types (dual friction, twin plate, etc.) and what are your thoughts on flywheel types (aluminum, stock, dual mass, etc.)? Also, who out there in FoxTbirdCougarForums land has interior parts for a floor console swap?

Reply #1
I've run a Center Force dual friction and a King Cobra cluch on mild combinations with a stock flywheel with good results (really couldn't tell the difference between them, other than the price!).  Either will get you down the road and both held up to 13.0's in a heavy car. 

With the greater power of the new combination, I've moved up to a McLeod dual disc and an aluminum flywheel (plus a scattershield).  If you need something similar, a T5 might be a bit light!

As far as parts, you shouldn't have too much trouble locating a shifter cover for the console, that is: if you have bucket seats.  If you have the split bench with the consolette, well then you'll be collecting a few pieces! 

I noted on Craigslist there is a pair of Turbo Coupe buckets complete with wire harness & control plate for $100 in Howell (for some reason, I've assumed you are Michigan, hope I haven't done the old "made an ass u me").  The console and associated hardware is a bit tougher to locate in good shape, but they are out there (Vinnie may be a good source).

Moving to a manual trans makes these cars so much more fun!

Reply #2
Thanks 86, I'm up in GR, so good guess.  I've got the consolette, and what's worse, I've got power passenger seat, so I'll need a console that matches.  I know I could cut the other holes open, but I think without the labels it would look silly.

Reply #3
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;399823
Thanks 86, I'm up in GR, so good guess.  I've got the consolette, and what's worse, I've got power passenger seat, so I'll need a console that matches.  I know I could cut the other holes open, but I think without the labels it would look silly.

A power passenger seat?  Wow!  That's a bit unusual.

You could mount a manual pass side bucket & associated hardware & no one would know the difference?

Howell is only about an hour twenty from you and a hundred bucks sounds like a reasonable start.  Shipping on a console is a fraction of getting seats, tracks & wiring harness.

I've checked around for parts & pieces to mount a shifter without a console (I got rid of console in the Mustang & might put in a 5 speed).  It's possible to put a hole in the floor and trim it with a universal boot.  Don't know how much clearence there might be between the seat.  It's been too many years since I converted mine to buckets & console....but I have seen pics of folks who've done it.

Worst case is to try it & do the buckets/console if you have to!

The mechanical end of the swap is pretty easy.

I have a T5Z box if you're in need of a trans.  PM me if you're interested.

Reply #4
My Coupe had a 306 which was 318 rwhp with 3.73's and some sticky 245/17/40's with a '93 T-5, Ebay SFI billet flywheel and a King Cobra Clutch assembly.  It held up to a bunch of abuse and never gave me an issue.  I am building a 331 for it and this time around it will have a RAM billet flywheel and RAM Powergrip clutch assembly.  I typically use RAM clutches and have had nothing but great performance from them.  The King Cobra was me being impatient and wanting the car running that weekend instead of waiting a few more days for a RAM unit.  I have had buddies use the Centerforce units and have good luck.  The dual clutch disc units are nice but they are a bit on the $$$ side but no one ever said this hobby was cheap.

Aluminum flywheels reduce your rotating mass which is huge but for a street car or mild street/strip car you typically see the billet units.  I know most of the road race guys run the aluminum units but again that is a race car.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp