Skip to main content
Topic: Tools you've made yourself. (Read 2554 times) previous topic - next topic

Tools you've made yourself.

Looking for tools you've made.  Maybe the right tool didn't exist, maybe it was expensive, maybe you're left handed.  Whatever reason, let's see 'em.
High Current test Light essentially the "headlight and 2 wires" you might have seen before, but I needed something lighter, less breakable, better handling, and generally not so shade tree looking.  So I got a bunch of shatter resistant acrylic tubing, some 9004/9007 connectors, some leads, some headlight retaining rings, some test clamps and some drop light caps.  Draws 5A wired to Lo, and 7A wired to Hi.

XXX

Reply #1
Very nice!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
looks to be a couple steps from being a home made fog lamp ,,, great idea!
if you made a shorter version of that i would buy it!!

Homemade Rear Caliper Tool

Reply #3
I originally posted this on NATO years ago.

This tool is used to turn the piston as you push it back into the caliper. I find it is easiest to attach the caliper and bracket to the axle but leave the rotor off. Then attach a ratchet and long extension to the "brake socket", I like to put a little wooden block between caliper and shock. Then just line up the teeth of the socket with the grooves on the piston push and turn.

This was just a cheap socket I used a handheld portaband (a hacksaw would work too it would just take longer) to cut the socket from the sides to create the teeth, just be sure to leave the teeth large enough to be usable. This is my first write up like this I hope I made everything clear, if not just ask I'll be glad to clear up anything that wasn't clear.
...and there was light!

Reply #4
spring compressor tool
pretty easy to make with just a few s parts. It leaves the spring in the car and you can safely take out the lower control arms.
you just tighten either the top or bottom nuts and things smash together.
i got the idea from the shop manual and if you look along the frame, there is a round hold up there your suppose to drop in a hooked device to grab the spring, problem is the darn weld up of the frame forces your "hook" only to one side,  mine just drops in the "other" opening and grabs the whole mess and it cant pop out.

Reply #6
It is always better to pull in a race than driving it in with a HAMMER. I made all my rear axle tools myself for this application. Here is a tool i made for a front drive for a GM DIFF. The aluminum housing is pr0ne for miss aligned bearing races. This tool pulls the race in square and as you can see a hammer would be impossible to use on this DIFF. I have made so many tools in my life i would be posting them for hours!!! And yes i made the threaded rod as well !!!

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #7
How about including parts or modifications that are neat???
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #8
Here is a set of adapters to install big rotors on the rear of a TC diff. It is beneficial and very economical way to install bigger rotors and a 5 lug conversion!!!

Reply #9
I was looking for tools only for this thread, but a clean mods thread would be a good idea, too.  The idea is to make a thread so useful that it becomes a sticky.

Reply #10
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;396673
a thread so useful that it becomes a sticky.

It needs to be. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #11
buzzer i found in a microwave i was harvesting parts for quickly became my code puller along with a paper clip.
Its easier to hear a beep than to look back and forth at paper and a flashing check engine light.

the other thing is what i use to troubleshoot circuits in the car that keep blowing fuses, just borrow your power seat circuit breaker and your off to the races with a fuse that resets itself.

Reply #12
You've got to be careful with those breakers, I knew a tech a couple years back who would use them to diag circuits.  He'd put one in and follow the smoke, no joke.  Dude was crazy.

Reply #13
That's called visual troubleshooting. ;)

Which is easier to find, a small nick in a harness or a melted stinking mess... Yep, that needs to be replaced alright.

Reply #14
i had no choice one a circuit once,, had to look for smoke as well.
Moon gear rubbing power window harness.