Skip to main content
Topic: Console/Headlight switch change (Read 3562 times) previous topic - next topic

Console/Headlight switch change

I have an 88 Cougar with the standard digital speedometer and regular headlight switch. Is it possible to change to the all digital console with the wiring that I have? Also, is it possible to put the auto light headlight switch that was an option with my car by simply changing out the switch or is it more involved than that?

Reply #1
Ok, I found a post about the digital switch for the dash. So, I don't need help on that, but the headlight question is one I still have.

Reply #2
Auto headlights were a gimmick at best. 99% of the time I had them, I had them turned off.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
I find them very convenient

turn key forward and everything is set up to auto on, auto off, auto dim ect.

Im the opposite, I never use the headlamp switch anymore.

I love it.

memory his/hers seat settings I love it as well as all the other wing dings tis 20th came with.

Reply #4
I did use them when I did pizza delivery alot. I eventually quit though because I kept getting people telling me I left my lights on. It was also kinda funny when you were sitting at a light under a freeway over pass. The sun would be obstructed and switch on.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com