Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Pump Runs Intermittently (Read 1049 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel Pump Runs Intermittently

'88 Thunderbird TC

About a month or so ago I thought my fuel pump went bad so I replaced it with a Walbro 255 lph that I had waiting to install.  Ran fine for a few hundred miles until yesterday 1/2 mile from home.

Replaced the TFI cause it was erratic on running / not running yesterday.  Thought I was gonna need a tow but it started and ran perfect to get it home.

I tried to warm the car up to set the timing after replacing the TFI (It's easier to remove the distributor to change TFI on the 2.3).  Runs for a few minutes and dies.  Timing light is flashing so I know I have spark.  Fuel pump does prime when i turn the ignition on for starting.  Doesn't prime every time I cycle the key back to back. 

I get the car to run for a few moments to see the fuel pressure at 35 psi at idle then drop and the car dies.

I found the inertia switch and the white button is floppy.  Doesn't seem to do anything either direction. 

The intermittent thing has me thinking it isn't the inertia switch, but not sure.  Should the button be floppy on the switch?
What next to check?

Thank you in advance.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Re: Fuel Pump Runs Intermittently

Reply #1
Um.....inertia switch connector
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #2
At this point in time, I am thinking of removing that plug because it is garbage and jumping the wires together until I find a replacement plug and inertia switch. 

I can see if the fuel pump continues to run while the car warms up and if it loses power then it is either the relay or pip?

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #3
Got it started and set the timing.  Let it sit a few hours then took it on short trip around town.  Hasn't died.......yet.

Realizing now I probably should have posted this in electrical.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #4
At this point in time, I am thinking of removing that plug because it is garbage and jumping the wires together until I find a replacement plug and inertia switch. 

That should be OK in the short-term.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo