Skip to main content
Topic: Let's meet in the middle (Read 9790 times) previous topic - next topic

Let's meet in the middle

Is there some sort of map that shows pins of members' locations for those that have entered them?

Do the masses here feel it is feasible and worth the effort on creating a customizable map that uses zip codes or towns to place a pin on a map for those who wish to contribute?  Some sort of map that would either be created by a volunteer based on members contributing or something that members could populate on their own.

The goal here is to see where we have heavier concentrations of members to perhaps have a better chance of regional gatherings.  For instance, there may be several members near Indianapolis so those members out there could use a map to see how many there are out there and select a location most central to those members.  But for those near Philadelphia, they could use a map showing pins in/around Philly to see if there are enough members around there to see if it's plausible for a gathering near there.

Something like this has been brought up in there  past but I don't know if anything came of it or if it was something that was reasonably achievable without someone having to commit loads of time.

Anyone concerned about privacy or OPSEC or whatever can not post any zip or choose a neighboring zip code to at least have something that would suffice on figuring a general location for meets based on ballpark estimates of folks' locations without those folks having to be accurate or even revealing their actual zip code or town.

Run-ons, I know but I don't have the time to go back and polish.  Hopefully the message gets relayed without the refined language to relay it.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #1
I thought we all lived in Ohio.
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #2
Boardman was definitely a good place to meet for all of us here collectively but Eric put a hell of a lot of effort into those events and he's more than done his share so unless someone else out there steps in, the best we have are hopes for regional meets that cost less for those attending in terms of distance and time.  We have a better chance of attendance if the locations proposed are within a few hours drive at most and people can leave home and return home in the same day without paying admission fees.  But without knowing where regional concentrations are of us, proposing locations is sort of like throwing darts at a board.

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #3
There is a map like this over at Turboford.  Everyone adds their own info, so there is little to no maintenance needed.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=741586
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #5
why was that one never stickied? that would have helped lol. I didn't even know it existed

IMO however, there's not too much point in the idea of using it for meets. The fact is that with the exception of you guys up in the northeast, which is for some reason where these cars cluster, the rest of us are just plain scattered. period. Ohio always seemed to me like the ideal meeting point to me.... Because for the rest of us it would consist of creating an event that we'd be lucky if 3 of us showed up at if we tried regional meets. I've always felt like the Cat-Jam or ThunderCat day events were ideal because even though everyone has to drive cross country to get there, at least your going to see twenty-something other members instead of having to make a possible 2-8 hour drive to a regional meet that you would be lucky to see half a dozen members at....

Maybe it could be helpful to make sub-regional meets for the NE area a thing though..... IDK but it would be kinda neat to at least see where everyone is I think.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #6
Start your own group!

I've been trying, but as soon as someone finds out i like these cars, they try to sell them to me and.then get rid of them.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #7
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;433397
There is a map like this over at Turboford.  Everyone adds their own info, so there is little to no maintenance needed.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=741586

This is along the lines of what I was thinking for the map.

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #8
That would be cool, now its just a matter of getting the whole forum to realize it's there.....
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #9
I think a poll would help figure this out.  How many would consider traveling some distance for a gathering, and once we know who and where, a center point can be determined to make it feasible.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #10
I'm the one that set the map up for turbo ford. If you guys want and can bear with me till tonight when I get off work, I'll set one up for here and post a link. I'm on my phone right now, so it automatically goes to the mobile version and only shows me a map. Tonight I can actually get on my computer.

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #11
Let's do it!
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #12
Quote from: MY83T;433440
I think a poll would help figure this out.  How many would consider traveling some distance for a gathering, and once we know who and where, a center point can be determined to make it feasible.

Getting the map started would then help those willing to propose regional locations.  For instance, once the map has been up a while and I look to see who is around the mid-Atlantic, I may propose a location based on pins in the mid-Atlantic.  The number of people who can show up would then determine if we do it or not.  The main goal here though is to propose locations based on pins on a map for gatherings that could be attended by those somewhat close by without the need for hotels or admission fees.  Something that is just a day, informal, gathering type thing.  Anyone willing to travel further, by all means of course but the main goal is to propose locations that offer promise to maybe a handful or more of people to have a gathering without the commitment of long-distance treks.  Anyone could use the map to see if they live among a cluster of pins and if they are up to it, propose a gathering in their area for those that live around them.  Wasn't there a gathering in Kentucky or Indiana or something recently?

Quote from: Tbird-fanatic;433441
I'm the one that set the map up for turbo ford. If you guys want and can bear with me till tonight when I get off work, I'll set one up for here and post a link. I'm on my phone right now, so it automatically goes to the mobile version and only shows me a map. Tonight I can actually get on my computer.

Cool.  No rush.  Thanks for offering to set it up.  At your convenience and hopefully many folks provide input.  If there is a way to control log-ins or access or whatever to members of this board, maybe that would prevent ill-wishers from skewing our map.

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #13
I put a thread in the lounge with a link to the map. Next step is to get it stickied!!!!

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?37479-Forum-members-map&p=433475#post433475

Let's meet in the middle

Reply #14
I always like the idea of get togethers, and I would like to attend.  It just seems life is so busy, I usually am tied to doing something else and cant make it.
Mike