Skip to main content
Topic: laptop display (Read 2808 times) previous topic - next topic

laptop display

has anyone ever changed one out? The computer in question is an older HP DV9000T, the wife dropped it (strap broke on carrying bag) and the lappy took a good hit on concrete. The display is all wonky now, all sorts of colors, etc, and is fast getting worse. I've got a few leads on good used replacement displays, just wondering how much of a headache I am in for doing the swap...

I'm going to get a newer used HP before the end of the year, but this one has been great (till it had it's high speed crash) and I'd like to fix it and keep it as a spare if possible...

Thanks!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

laptop display

Reply #1
It's time consuming, but not terribly difficult. The hardest part is usually getting the shell separated without leaving pry marks in the soft plastic.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

laptop display

Reply #2
I've done a couple,  look on youtube and google search the model.  The last one I did for my nephew I found a video on youtube on the whole job... That way you don't take apart more than you have too and it just makes the whole job easier.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

laptop display

Reply #3
It's not overly complicated but if it's your first time disassembling a laptop make sure you go slow and easy, even if you're following an online tutorial. Make sure you have a nice area to work in for spreading pieces out as you remove them. Get one of those cheap plastic compartmentalized storage bins for the screws, they will grow legs and label them as you remove them. Take pictures of the routing of wiring (like wifi antenna) sometimes that's tough to get back in place exactly like it was.

laptop display

Reply #4
I do a lot of these.  For a few bucks extra, get a plastic spudger for separating the bezel, and get a new display cable.  Both are cheap, both are extremely helpful.  Otherwise, use some wax paper to store the screw covers and rubber feet on, use minimal torque as some of the screw pedestals are likely to be broken, and those that aren't (especially with HP) are likely to become as such from being worked with.  You'll have to pull the keyboard and the keyboard bezel, along with the top of the lower case. Lots of different screws, like doodaa said, make sure you can keep them separate.  One last bit of advice, if you've never worked with ZIF sockets, take a minute to learn up on them with google, it'll make your life easier when dealing with ribbon cables.  Some have a sliding lock, some have a lever type lock, but they all have a lock.  You'll want to use the spudger on them, because getting that close to ribbon cables with metal objects isn't worth the risk to the ribbon.  Good luck.

laptop display

Reply #6
Hell yeah! ^

Got a coupla leads on parts laptops, probably make a little trip friday to get one of them. Both have excellent screens (no cracks) but the video cards in each of them has overheated and pulled away from the mobo. (common problem on these)

Good deal for me, as the case on mine has some cracking on the corner it landed on, so now I can swap my good parts into another good case.

Thanks guys...will post back with some pics and results after the surgery :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

laptop display

Reply #7
This is a  pretty easy fix, as long as you have the correct parts at a reasonable cost.  Take you time, ground yourself, your work surface and the equipment you are working on. Static electricity is the major enemy and it only takes a few simple precautions to avoid it.  You might also discover broken backlights and other broken pieces once you have the old screen removed, so you might take a few minutes to have a look around and make sure that all of the broken parts are replaced while you have it apart. Generally speaking, if the LCD is broken, it is cheaper to replace the laptop than the screen.  It sounds as if you might have caught a break though on the parts.

Good Luck!

~C

laptop display

Reply #8
ihave a spare screen for that laptop it is stil in the lid with the cam and mic and everything and no i do not need it chaning it is real easy  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc there is the fix for the laptops you are going  to get i have done this on 1 of them i have i have 3 dv's btw