Skip to main content
Topic: The Offical 2017 Drag Strip Thead. (Read 5317 times) previous topic - next topic

The Offical 2017 Drag Strip Thead.

Ok, gonna make it simple this year. Post a pic and a time slip! Let's get em going this year!

Reply #3
are we restarting this thread from scratch? should we sticky that old one and update it? it is kind of a shame we never kept it going.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?12100-Foxtbirdcougarforums-Top-25-ET-List!
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #4
Quote from: grutinator;460299
are we restarting this thread from scratch? should we sticky that old one and update it? it is kind of a shame we never kept it going.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?12100-Foxtbirdcougarforums-Top-25-ET-List!

I totally forgot about this and thought it was long gone.... I was just trying to do something for 2017. Last year only a couple of guys were doing something here. The economy brought this part of the board to its knees and I have no idea if anyone even has their cars from yesteryear. Without Cat Jam and the routine discussions this is slowing down to a crawl. Thought we could liven it up!

Reply #5
I'm gonna try to make the strip a few times this year, haven't been with the Bird in several years(and only once with the supercharged Marauder)... For me it had nothing to do with economy, just my sorry old ass is lazy... Truth be it known grandkids and other interests(Marauder[sold], Comet & Cobra Jet) put the Bird on back burner, several times considered selling it... BUT it's still here and should be running within next three or four weeks...

Reply #6
Well I have to get mine into and out of paint first. Plus a dyno tune. So hopefully I'll be able to contribute by September :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
Im taking mine to the dyno tomorrow to finish my tuning then Ill be hitting up Milan Dragway within a week or so.

Goal is to run better than 12.50 on the 17" street tires and break into the 11s on slicks. Going to be hard since I built the car to handle the turns and daily commute instead of racing.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger
83 TC  gt40p motor,Vortech,TFS1 cam,long tubes,MS PnP,T5,8.8,17x9 Cobra 17s

Reply #8
Quote from: deathbypsi;460342
Goal is to run better than 12.50 on the 17" street tires and break into the 11s on slicks. Going to be hard since I built the car to handle the turns and daily commute instead of racing.

That's going to be tough since the suspension most likely is not really supportive of weight transfer considering that is what you want to minimize during a cornering event.

Reply #9
I'm putting a 427W in this year - hopefully be at the dragstrip within a couple months.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #10
Quote from: Cougar5.0;460463
I'm putting a 427W in this year - hopefully be at the dragstrip within a couple months.

N/A or boosted as well?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Hoping to get back out in the next few weeks. Don't know what it will run, but it has to be a few seconds quicker than the 16 second passes my son made in the fall of 2015.
1988 LX, 306 with GT40P heads, Downs Upper Intake on Truck Lower, Powerdyne Supercharger and T5 swap.  Scavenger Hunt Build at it's best.

Reply #12
Loading up my car in a few min and going for T&T today! Wish me luck!
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger

Reply #13
Quote from: deathbypsi;460478
Loading up my car in a few min and going for T&T today! Wish me luck!

Good Luck! Should be fun!

Reply #14
..... didnt have a very good day. Had to abort 6 out of 7 passes due to it going dead lean when I shifted to second gear. Only pass I got down the track under any kind of power I left real soft with a 2.14 60ft then shifted slow and easy. Once I was in 3rd I went WOT to 5500 then easy shift to 4th and WOT again. Ran a 13.20 but timing system didnt show my MPH. Found I have a bad connection in the harness plug going to the injectors { salt n pepper shakers}. If I wiggled the plug the car would shut off or stumble just idling. Looks like the G-forces on 1-2 shift was enough to break the connection and the injectors would shut off. Every log I took showed 8-9 psi in 1st gear and 11.5 afr....shift to 2nd and it would go 18.0-1 faster than I could get out of it. Got lucky I didnt melt the motor down!

Never got to bolt the slicks on so all runs were on my daily 17" wheels. All 7 passes were between 2.00 and 2.14 60ft which is better than I thought Id get with this much power.
Brian R.
88 2.3t Ranger