Skip to main content
Topic: 87 "coug" resto winter project (Read 80536 times) previous topic - next topic

87 "coug" resto winter project

Reply #15
thunderjet302 > Still deciding on which intake to put on there. I'm young so looks plays a role in my decision lol

We have 3 HO cams to choose from. Can anyone help to decipher the codes on them later on to determine which is gonna be best for the engine?

Reply #16
Post up pictures of the cams. 

Don't waste time on the pump.  Go with a 255.  It's a return style system so...

You're going with a built AOD so you'll be fine.  It's amazing the difference between my AOD and a stocker in terms of feel and performance.  I should imagine you'll understand that soon enough.

Do you have the flow #'s for those heads?  I would imagine they're going to flow a good deal better than a set of stock E7's.  19 pound injectors at the stock pressure setting may not be enough.

Keep us updated!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #17
I am sure the stock 19's are not going to flow enough,, I speculate we are on the cuff of 3 or so psi per injector to be at the bare minimum.  I am considering trying out a set of 21LB to see if the eec can manage them to offset the leanness and an appropriate o2 sensor, the o2 sensor is bugging me pretty early in our project because I know we may need a special application wide band. 
An adjustable FPR will take up some of this slack needed along with a better than stock fuel pump.  At the end of the day I am also speculating chance here will have to be mass air much sooner than we think.  I am also wanting this car to be affordable to drive,,, so there needs to be some compromise for the wallets sake.

My older son mason is running fine with his SD 19's but is not stroked, only poked & ho swapped with exploder top end.

speaking to cams, I have the original shipping boxes, I can ask the sellers what cars they "know" or "think" they came from.  I have never been able to cypher cam numbers to tell me exactly what application they came from,, perhaps you did a table on this... for all I know I may have a link to it in my diy thread.

I tend to collect parts up for future projects and complement them with spare options, with cams, I think I dropped the ball tracking the application.  all the other stuff I can look at and know or reference our data to cypher.  Sometimes but rarely I have a so called "option" on my table like an EEC that has arrived and suppose to be an HO but turns out not to be nothing more than a SD SO , live and learn...

either way,, engine stuff is not for a few weeks out but we don't want to be stabbing the engine bay on guesswork either.

as for the heads and their flow,, I can ask the seller if there any machine work results on this. they will flow well better than any of the GT's I am certain.

Chance is really liking the black you have V8demon and he is amazed at project evolution, I told him to go read up on almost 200 pages of hard work evolution can teach him and I.
Since black may be our color , its going to be a game changer on  how we prep and paint... I was hoping he would stay white although all it would take is a few more small things done in prep work / demo then color will no longer matter.

Reply #18
With a 331 I would defiantly use the Typhoon intake, even with a stock HO cam. I would also do a MAF conversion if you could as well.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
These are the cam shaft numbers. The filename for two of them has the number as well as who it came from, and the third I had no idea about.

Good luck haha!

Reply #20
If those are all stock HO cams just pick the best looking one and run it. There isn't much of a difference between them.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
I went through my cams (4)
2) sd non-ho cams ended up being lobe angled different from the other two which came from:

kitz kat- 1) ho cam but I need to dig into my pm's or other threads to find out what year it is.
thefoeyouknow- 1) ho cam but I need to dig into my pm's or other threads to find out what year it is.

at this point the focus is on rust mitigation and preservation.
metal repair to the lower core support
under side of car is full of 28 years of oil leaks caked on about 1/8'' thick and all black... its acting like undercoating.

we will move from the front frame work to the rear, drop the tank to expose corrosion in back.

we will move on to door and trunk repair next

Fenders will come next blast and repair from about 4 deer collisions and past repairs I have done.

next is exterior body / prime work and at some point here soon *someone* :)  will have to have made up their minds as to what color we are going.

Reply #22
Make sure you have a good gas mask I'f your gonna apply locktite rust neutralizer in mass. It's not fun. Lol

In similar news, the drivers side is blasted and coated with. Tomarrow were gonna prime it and move on to either the front or the bay depending.

Reply #23
Almost done with the primer.

Reply #24
Lookin good guys
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #25
This'll be nice when it's done. I love watching one be saved.
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #26
Great project for the winter!! Are going to weld in some new metal when the rust has eaten away and where the log chain incident happened?

Just remember that 302 parts make 302 power.  Sell all four of your stock cams and run a cam for a 331 and the heads you have.  You are going to surpass what 24 lb/hr injectors can handle so you should really think about some 30's and a programmer or a chip and dyno tune.  The 331 will run with an HO cam and 19 lb/hr injectors but you will never get the power out of it you will get with a better matched cam and bigger injectors.  Either way you go don't forget the subframe connectors.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #27
Quote from: Aerocoupe;441357
  The 331 will run with an HO cam and 19 lb/hr injectors but you will never get the power out of it you will get with a better matched cam and bigger injectors.  Either way you go don't forget the subframe connectors.

Darren

exactly... that's the current plan,,  I want it upgradeable when he feels he can
If we do all your saying, he wont be able to afford to drive the car , our local jobs are avg 35 miles away.

Reply #28
Quote from: Aerocoupe;441357
Great project for the winter!! Are going to weld in some new metal when the rust has eaten away and where the log chain incident happened?

Darren

yes, that's why we are working our way from the fire wall forward, the core support repair comes real soon.
then we move on to the rear torque boxes after the tank is out,, tidy up back there

then to trunk lid
then to door lowers

subframes are also in the plan

Reply #29
im going to have to think about what your saying on the cam though,, it has been bothering me a tad.

its not too late for this step, I would just have to gather up the MASS Air EEC,, and a paired up mass air meter with injectors.
I cant afford to build this thing only to find out he cant afford to drive it.

if we stay SD HO, yes that may be lean but an adjustable FPR might help some.

back to body work............