Skip to main content
Topic: My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics) (Read 33851 times) previous topic - next topic

My 86 Cougar (2.3T swapped) thread (long and lots of pics)

Reply #30
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;322375
Did a little more work to the car yesterday.  I finally got rid of the column shifter (sorry Watchdevil!)  It was a huge pain to get rid of it.  I tried knocking the pin out to get the shift lever out but that pin just would not come out no matter what.  I tried knocking it out from the top and bottom and it wouldn't budge.  I eventually ended up cutting the shaft just bellow the shift lever with a hacksaw (took forever) and then pulling the shaft out through the engine bay.  Not fun but at least its done.  The bar weighed in right at 5 pounds, so I am happy with it.

Oh man I am going to miss the dual shifters.... :rollin:

Yeah, those shift lever pins can be a bear. I am persistant though and I have gotten quite good at knocking them out!

Reply #31
I did some more work on the Cat today.  I took out all the trunk carpeting and panels and the sound insulation panels next to the rear seats.  All that stuff weighed in at 16 pounds.  I also made some metal block off panels to block the holes left over from the AC/Heater delete. 

What is left of the wife's baking pan I used for the block of plates...

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #32
Very small update.

Got a new air filter on.  All the parts that came up missing in the transport have now been replaced.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #33
BIG UPDATE!
The car has made its maiden voyage with the new drive train!  I just got our new tags for it in the mail from Kansas.  I had my doubts along the way about swapping out the 5.0 for a 2.3T but it was all worth it today.  It isn't the quickest car because of the stock 2.73s but it feels and sounds great when the boost kicks in.  I only drove it around the block a few times to make sure everything was working properly and it did great.

Reply #35
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;334744
BIG UPDATE!
The car has made its maiden voyage with the new drive train!  I just got our new tags for it in the mail from Kansas.  I had my doubts along the way about swapping out the 5.0 for a 2.3T but it was all worth it today.  It isn't the quickest car because of the stock 2.73s but it feels and sounds great when the boost kicks in.  I only drove it around the block a few times to make sure everything was working properly and it did great.

Whoo! Alright man, that's awesome!  Next time I'm down there I'll have to stop by and check it out!

...It is in Vegas right?
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #36
thats some good reading.
John

Reply #37
Thanks guys.  It's been a long adventure.

I tried using the manual boost controller I bought for it a while back but it overboosted.  I had the controller set to the minimum setting and it hit 18 psi.  I might not have it hooked up correctly but for now I just unhooked it and have the BCS bypassed.  It is making about 12psi which is right where I want it anyway.  Can't wait to get an intercooler and some gears!

Reply #38
Here is a short video I took today going around the block.  Speedometer is off because of wrong gears.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v648/Loaded87IROC/86%20Cougar/?action=view¤t=CIMG0002.mp4

Reply #39
My turbofords hanging out in the garage.

Reply #40
Swapped the TC rear end, sway bar, and springs into the Cougar today (and the Cougar rear into the TC...)  Pretty tired, but very happy.  I haven't figured out the plumbing or E-brake stuff yet, but at least the hard part is done.  Tomorrow I will be installing the quad shocks, intercooler, hood, fans, and radiator.  Next weekend I'll pull the drivetrain from the TC and swap the 5 speed into the Cougar.

Reply #41
Hell yeah man! Glad to see some stuff getting done! I guess I'll have to get on it to keep up!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #42
TC radiator and fans went in yesterday.

Reply #43
The 5-speed, intercooler, and 3.45s should make it ALOT more fun to drive. Have you thought about swaping the serpentine setup.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #44
Yeah, the gears and intercooler should be a huge improvement.  I am planning on using the serpentine setup also. I'm not gonna let any part of the TC go to waste.