Skip to main content
Topic: 3.8/4.2L Split Port Swap into a Fox (Read 48803 times) previous topic - next topic

3.8/4.2L Split Port Swap into a Fox

Reply #30
Quote from: JeremyB;238629
What's the best way to get the engine/tranny in the car?

I was planning to remove the front clip, and install the engine/tranny together with all accessories on the engine. Will that work? Any tips?

Also, I need some kind of programmer to kill PATS/EVAP/Rear O2s/etc. SCT looks like a good buy, but I'm not sure which product is what I need. Also, will I need to get a "tune" by a third party to turn on/off those scalars? (unless I have the Pro Racer Package)

Going in over the front should work depending on your engine lift and its reach.  If you don't want to mar up the bumper cover, then at the very least pull it.  Sure as you leave the header panel on though...well...you get the idea.

When I put the engine back in the '83, I dropped the engine and bellhousing in as a unit and took them in over the fender (to avoid having to mess with removing the front end).  I don't think I would try that with an engine/trans together.  I think I had the front on jackstands and the driver front wheel off just to give me maneuvering room.  It was a solo job, so it wasn't too difficult.  With an extra pair of hands to steady things it would have been nicer though.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #31
I installed the 5.0 and AOD as a unit in my TC... No upper intake, but headers were on, as was the water pump and harmonic balancer... Installed the accessory brackets, P/S, alt, etc after it was in...

Reply #32
Here's how mine went in.....
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #33
Bob swapped his 408 and T-5 in as a unit. I think he left the bumper on from the pics. Think the long tubes where on too.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #34
Still alive. No progress...

Reply #35
thanks for the non-update :tg:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #36
There will be updates...soon :p

Reply #38
I would like to see this keep moving. An update at least means you havent forgotten about it,
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #39
Hey Jeremy, you had better hurry up with this project, otherwise I'll just convert mine back to EFI with a 4R70W and steal the glory!

But seriously, did you hit a roadblock?
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #40
Any update on this?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #41
I've been planning a work weekend with two friends for Memorial Day. I've also been on travel/vacation since the 7th of May until last night so today/tomorrow I am frantically purchasing everything I need to get her running.

By the end of the weekend, the engine/tranny should be in the car and operational, but I don't have a floor shifter/cable or 4R70W yoke so it isn't going anywhere. Also a chance that some critical items might not show up in time...

I'll give out updates as they happen.

it, almost 2 years the Blue  has been sitting in my garage. :mad::(

Reply #42
Quote from: JeremyB;323029
I don't have a 4R70W yoke

PM sent
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #43
I made a spreadsheet relating circuit number to circuit function for all relevant (and many irrelevant) connectors/components in the Mustang and Cougar, but have lost it. Have to do it all over again! :mad:

Reply #44
Baumann and D&D no longer have any Fox 4R70W crossmembers. Looks like I'll have to convert the old one.
FPDM, and FPDM on the way. SCT Xcalibrator should be sent out today/tomorrow.