Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 thunderbird compatibility of parts with other ford models (Read 2356 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 thunderbird compatibility of parts with other ford models

Hi, I own a 1988 Thunderbird and parts are really hard to come by, and when I find them, they are OEM and are way overpriced. I was wondering if other Ford products are interchangeable, like the Mustang. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
What parts?
Body, thunderbird and cougar. some things like doors and windsheild can be had from a mark7. Most interior parts are reletively generic, minus specific panels.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I don't think the Mark VII doors would work. They might work on an 83-86 (and even then I don't know whether the body lines would match), but Mark VII's never got the flush glass of the 87-88 T-Birds and Cougars
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Doesn't stop anyone from swapping 83-86 doors onto 87-88 cars. there is a big differance between compatable and correct. after playing with a few mark7 door panels at the junkyard and comparing them, i think the mark 7 doors would work.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com