Skip to main content
Topic: OK Guys, School me on SN95 front brake swap (Read 2770 times) previous topic - next topic

OK Guys, School me on SN95 front brake swap

So I read a lot of the posts on here for the SN95 5 lug brake swap. With the Foxbody Mustangs you use the 94-95 front spindles. I noticed you guys on the Thunderbirds use either 94-95 spindles or the 99-04. Mine is a 1988 Thunderbird Sport and I already swapped in a 2003 GT rear diff with disc brakes. I want to make sure that my front wheels look right in my wheels and have the proper turning radius.

Another question is the springs. I heard swapping to SN95 springs can give you a lowered look while giving a stock ride. True??

Thanks guys. You rock!
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Re: OK Guys, School me on SN95 front brake swap

Reply #1
Sooooo do a search and all kinds of good stuff comes up but basically the swap is identical to a Fox Mustang swap to an SN95 front set up.  This one is pretty complete:

https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php?topic=36678.0

I believe it is the Mach 1 springs but hit Vinnie up or do a search on springs and then user name Vinnie and you should find a couple threads on this.  I have full coil overs so not much help unless you want to go that route.  And please don't cheap out on the caster/camber plates and buy the Maximum Motorsport units.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
+1 on the MM caster/camber units.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #3
Ok thanks guys. I tried the search and there was an overwhelming load of info and you kinda get lost in it. I wanted to see what is the best route to go since 94-95 spindles are getting robbed right away in the yards.
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Reply #4
The 96-2004 spindles will work but you have to be ready to deal with the possibility of bump steer and the additional space they move the front wheels outward.

With that being said the general rule of thumb is to run the 94-95 spindles on a stock k-member car and the 96+ on tubular k-member cars as most of them are designed for the 96+ spindle geometry.  I know the Maximum Motorsports and Griggs Racing units are designed on the 96+ spindles as I have them both. If you are going to run a tubular k-member call the manufacturer and see what they recommend.

I did run the 96+ spindles on my Mustang for several years with the stock k-member and stock LCA’s but I did run a bump steer kit.

Reply #5
Thanks Aerocoupe

I think the 94/95 spindles on my Tbird lowers with SN95 ball joints will be the way I go. Then I will get SN95 inner and outer tie rods and modify the inner to the same length and my Tbird inner. I also have the PBR twin piston calipers to go with my set up. I will just need to get the weatherhead adapter fittings to fit the Tbird hard line to the PBR flex line. All I need to do is get a 93 Cobra master cyl and bleed the complete system.

Reply #6
Sounds like a great setup!  You will definitely notice the difference as the Fox brakes are simply anemic.

Reply #7
Don't forget to use a proper booster.  The matching 93 cobra unit is ideal, but I used the V6 SN95 booster and only had to oblong 1 hole in the firewall.  I did mine recently, and found that the 93 booster was practically unobtainium.  Everybody also seems to want to use an adjustable prop valve, but I didn't want to dick around with adjusting brake bias.

Also: I used 99-04 parts and did not have to shorten the inner tie rods.

Reply #8
Don't forget to use a proper booster.  The matching 93 cobra unit is ideal, but I used the V6 SN95 booster and only had to oblong 1 hole in the firewall.  I did mine recently, and found that the 93 booster was practically unobtainium.  Everybody also seems to want to use an adjustable prop valve, but I didn't want to dick around with adjusting brake bias.

What prop valve did you end up using again?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-2303nb
Comes with lines for connecting it to their master, but since I didn't use their master, I had to fab my own lines.

Reply #10

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-2303nb
Comes with lines for connecting it to their master, but since I didn't use their master, I had to fab my own lines.

That prop valve works well as a drop in? No brake issues?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #12
Don't forget that the original master is 3 lines, the 93 cobra master is 2, and the factory prop valve inturrupts the right front line; a fact that made the disc/disc prop valve idea all the more attractive.
I'd advise an ambitious wrench looking to pull this job to get a good flaring kit that includes ISO bubble flare tools. Its better to make lines than try to find adapters.

Reply #13
Go back up to my first reply and open that thread up and read all three pages.

Reply #14
I already have the Turbo coupe proportioning valve in my car from when I did the turbo coupe rear diff swap.

TheFoe- So I will need to use the V6 SN95 booster then with the Cobra master cyl. Does that just help with the braking effort?  Also my stock Thunderbird master cyl is a 2 line master. It almost looks exactly like the Cobra one.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the info.