Skip to main content
Topic: phosphoric acid (Read 1636 times) previous topic - next topic

phosphoric acid

purchase a gal of "food grade concentrated phosphoric" acid from amazon for around 45$ on a gallon.

do up 25% phos  75%water.

with little wire brush effort on rusted area, spray on and walk away.

im done doing anything else to rust, this stuff saves the day.

i blew through a gallon of it quick like spraying everything  could, now i have my second gallon to use for general purpose things.

this stuff is less hazardous as Muriatic  & Hydrochloric acid.

additionally, 10% phosphoric acide and 90% water kills weeds and keeps them down most of the summer.

Re: phosphoric acid

Reply #1
I started a thread in the general section on rust remover.  Mind if I copy and paste or would you like to post this there too?

Any before and after pictures?

Here's the other thread:  https://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php?topic=41012.0
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #2
ok by me...

here is the youtube link with the testing done live

this was done in a controlled manner, there's no reason to use anything else after you see this.....

my lessons learned are............
use 25% phos acid most times as its more effective than using 50/50.
I guess it has something to do with chemistry class.  also,, the white ish looking residue apparently is 100% paintable from what i have seen by others.,, as well is the black residue.
its almost like a primer layer self built upon the metal.

my channel............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddUrjy-_UYk

Reply #3
i find this topic so frustrating sometimes.
so ,,,, recently i am on youtube and see a adam savage vid on evaporust.
long story short,, you actually watch him intentionally misrepresent a product in order to elevate it into something it is not.

i found his review of evaporust to be a flat out lie.  you actually experience him struggling with the lie but,, like a tropper in lockstep with some sort of cult like trance,, he pushes you to drink the coolaid to!.

I normally have nothing bad to say about this guy and / or the entertaining work he has provided so many across the planet to expose us to science.  After watching this on his personal youtube channel,, i now question his character and truthfulness to us, his viewers.  there are a lot of us who actually count on smarter folks to show us "how its dun",,

so, in retaliation to his vid,, i am going to do another one of my phosphoric acid vids and i am calling out Adam in a negative light for pushing this product. 

He actually shows you at the end the product never even worked,,,, so he expains that you gotta get your wire brush out and clean off the rust.  

My approach to killing rust is more on point with what people are looking for.
My mission (now complete) was to find a product with the least amount of negative environmental impact, least heath risks producing the the maximum amount of results with the least amount of effort.

Reply #4
I've been using this stuff for a couple years now. Works great.

https://www.rust911.com/

I used it recently to dissolve the rust on the replacement doors of the LTS.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
ok by me...

here is the youtube link with the testing done live

this was done in a controlled manner, there's no reason to use anything else after you see this.....

my lessons learned are............
use 25% phos acid most times as its more effective than using 50/50.
I guess it has something to do with chemistry class.  also,, the white ish looking residue apparently is 100% paintable from what i have seen by others.,, as well is the black residue.
its almost like a primer layer self built upon the metal.

my channel............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddUrjy-_UYk
James, I wanted to check in on how the treated parts you have done are holding up?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #6
i have a few treated "things",, lying around.
Most noteworthy is one of my 10'' long spiral spikes.

its appearance is just as it was from when i treated it many moons ago.

you can purchase a gallon of concentrated "food grade" phosphoric acid from amazon for around 85$ US.  thats pretty much al you'd prob need for years.

Also,,, although this is kinda breaking the rules in neumistics,,, but i usea sonic cleaner on coins with 1/4 of a shot glass of phos acid to 2qts of water,,, then run the sonic cleaner.  this makes all the coins appear to quaify at a higher grade especially when the coin itself has very low circulation characteristics.

i am going to do another vid on this topic because i like this topic and also to promote a cost affective way of killing rust to common folk.  My origial mission is the same then as it is now.   Find a product that removes rust with the "least amount of effort with the maximum amount of results".