Skip to main content
Topic: Best install kit and harness adapter? (Read 12009 times) previous topic - next topic

Best install kit and harness adapter?

Hi there.

I'm looking at installing a Pioneer head unit into my '88 T-bird Sport.  I'm looking at installing a Pioneer single DIN CD player, and would like to know what you guys would recommend as far as dash install kits, and harness adapters.

I'm new to the Ford world, so I just want to be sure I'm on the right path.

Thanks.

Reply #1
If you don't have preimium sound, i wouldn't bother with a harness unless yoy might want to go back to stock.i also.don't.care for.the din adaptars. i just reuse the stock brackets and space it out how i see fit.

the only harnes ones I've ever used i got at my local walmart. just make sure its the kit with or without premium sound and you should be golden.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
That sounds good.  I thought our Ford head units were right around single din anyway.  Looks like I just need the non-premium harness.  I like using the harness since I can just wire everything up on the work bench and then just plug and play.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply #3
If you are going to upgrade the speakers then I would strongly suggest you run new 16 ga speaker wire to them from the deck as the stock wiring is about 22 ga and it hampers the sound.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp