Reply #2
At it's new home...

Delete

Reply #3

Initial cleaning...

Carpet stripped out...

Delete

Reply #4
I spent the past three days doing this...

The interior even further gutted with the dash removed. Notice all the surface rust on the brackets. I will have to paint all these brackets to keep from rusting again. The driver's side floor board is not rusted... That is just rust dust from brushing away so much surface rust! The floorboards are unbelievably in like-new condition.

The black metal cowl trim at the base of the windshield was complely rusted due to the leaves and debris that were collected from my Dad's trees. I have already found a used part in excellent condition. I spent some time hosing out leaves and debris out of the cowl area and inside fender wells. I also removed the door weather strips and cleaned the gunk off them and out of the roof drain rails. The large door seals are in remarkable condition. The outside and inside window belt molding seals are crumbled mess.

That's it for now until I have more time to work on it...

Delete

Reply #5
You have your work cut out for you, but looks like you're off to a flyin' start.

Judging by the green mossy spot under and next to the car in the first pics, I'd venture a guess that you've looked underneath the car and checked it closely..?

Some turbines or 10-hole wheels (both from Mustangs, mostly) would probably look better than the wheels with the flat tires...and if the TRX tires hold air and aren't too terribly cracked/dry rotted, save 'em away for a rainy day. As you've found out, they're horrendously overpriced.
Good lookin' car. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Delete

Reply #6
The floor looks solid!  Always a bonus!  Keep us updated!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Delete

Reply #7
Nice!!!! I like the wheels with the goodyars!!!
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Delete

Reply #8
Looks like you're off to a nice start, make sure to post lots of pics.

What motor is it, 302 or 3.8?
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Delete

Reply #9
very nice,the car looks to be very solid.keep the pics coming,as you move along with the resto.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Delete

Reply #10
Looks like it'll be a while before you're worried about it but the brakes won't be that many $$$ to get back in shape if you go stock. I was surprised at how cheap new master cylinder, calipers, rear wheel cylinders, hoses and hardware kit for my '86 turned out to be. The big expense was brake fluid, to make sure all that "goo" was flushed from the system.

Delete

Reply #11
Quote from: massCougarxr7;274728
Nice!!!! I like the wheels with the goodyars!!!

The 14" rims that were on it were American Racing. I don't have a personal taste for them as I prefer something OE looking or something that looks Ford Motorsports styled. I will likely sell the American Racing rims and later the Michelin TRX wheels. I do like the Mustang GT/Cougar XR7 turbine wheels, however I have found some four hole 17" SVT wheels that I think will look great on this car. I thought maybe I would like the late Fox Mustang Pony star wheels but these days they don't seem to make enough of a statement to me. It's just a shame the Michelin TRX tires are expensive. I really love the original wheels.

Delete

Reply #12
Thanks everyone for responding! I am excited to find a niche of people who enjoy thier Fox Birds and Cats!

Delete

Reply #13
Quote from: 5.0 bird;274755
Looks like you're off to a nice start, make sure to post lots of pics.

What motor is it, 302 or 3.8?

5.0 (302)!

My former 1985 Tbird had the V8 as well. I miss that car!

165,000 miles when I bought it in 1997.

245,000 miles just after I sold it to someone where I used to work, about 2001 or so.

Delete

Reply #14
Quote from: doodaa;274761
Looks like it'll be a while before you're worried about it but the brakes won't be that many $$$ to get back in shape if you go stock. I was surprised at how cheap new master cylinder, calipers, rear wheel cylinders, hoses and hardware kit for my '86 turned out to be. The big expense was brake fluid, to make sure all that "goo" was flushed from the system.

I am pretty sure the brake booster will need replacement. When I took the pedal bracket off stripping the interior the shaft boot was broken and this strange gook which looked like chunks of brown sugar was falling out from the hole in the shaft boot.

I hope after replacing all the main brake parts and doing a good flush that the proportioning valve will be okay. The brakes is really serious step one. The car will run but I can't drive it with no brakes.