Skip to main content
Topic: Front wheel stagger question 88TC and 88XR7 (Read 1161 times) previous topic - next topic

Front wheel stagger question 88TC and 88XR7

New here and have a question on stagger in the front wheels of both the noted rides.
Both cars have the drivers front wheel about 0.5-1.0 inch further forward in the wheel opening than the passenger side.
I have to assume that they both came from the factory that way but what was the rationale for this configuration?
I installed Mustang GT 11 inch brakes/spindles along with the C/C plates and new struts (stock XR7 control arms).
I am asking as we cannot get anywhere close to the recommended +- 4 degrees caster angle.
The drivers C/C plate is pushed all the way forward and the passenger plate is all the way rearward and only getting about 2deg caster.
Maximum Motorsports figured my k member was out of square but when I checked the TC it was the same way so I don't think that is the issue.
Any thoughts/guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.
Have a super day all.

Larry

Reply #1
I have heard that some caster camber plates can be flipped and put together backwards.

Mm has a pretty good handle on these cars. Jack actually ownes a tc if I remember right and its one of few places that build parts For these cars.

I'm gonna wait around and see what everyone else who has cc plates says.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I didn't have any trouble getting +4.5 caster with my MM c/c plates.  Granted, I have yet to do my SN-95 brake/knuckle/axle swap as you have.  Subscribing.

Reply #3
[Not sure if it makes any difference but I only upgraded to 4 bolt GT wheels and have not yet done the SN-95 conversion.  That is yet to come.  Had the bigger mustang brakes/spindles hanging about to put them on.  thanks guys.
Larry

Reply #4
Not sure whats causing your issue but might want to check your control arm bushings, mine (87 TC) were in poor condition when I swapped them for newer during SN brake install.