Skip to main content
Topic: '87/'88 5.0 t-bird engine harness differences (Read 1539 times) previous topic - next topic

'87/'88 5.0 t-bird engine harness differences

Today I went to plug my newly obtained '88 dash harness to my '87 tbird's engine harness and the connectors that connect the two are different. I got the '88 dash harness because I didn't trust the '87 harness after the dash fire and all. Will I need to use the '88 engine/light harness as well? Thats ok if I do, because I got those as well at my local junkyard. Thanks guys!
~1988 thunderbird~
In hibernation, waiting for spring.

Reply #1
under dash harness....shot in the dark but did one of the 2 cars have the electronic climate control?
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
Quote from: shame302
under dash harness....shot in the dark but did one of the 2 cars have the electronic climate control?

Yes, the '88 car had climate control...
~1988 thunderbird~

Reply #3
Hey Eric, you seem to be one of the great cougar/tbird knowledge conveyors on this forum...what's your input? please?:bowdown:
~1988 thunderbird~

Reply #4
I can actually help you there.  You will have to use the 88 engine harness.  And the light harness may plug in and it may not.  Depening if your car had systems sentry or not.  The connectors are differernt.  One is black and one is grey.  Black for sytems sentry and grey without.  This I'm not sure if 88/87 matters.
One 88

Reply #5
Quote from: CougarSE
I can actually help you there.  You will have to use the 88 engine harness.  And the light harness may plug in and it may not.  Depening if your car had systems sentry or not.  The connectors are differernt.  One is black and one is grey.  Black for sytems sentry and grey without.  This I'm not sure if 88/87 matters.

Coolness! Thanks claude...You wouldn't mind if I refer to to you by you first name would you? I think I'll just use the '88 light harness as well being that the '88 car had systems sentry. I wish I could go outside and replace the light harness right know, but old man winter deemed it fit to  give us more of the white stuff along with some nasty wind:yuck:
~1988 thunderbird~

Reply #6
No problem man.
One 88