Skip to main content
Topic: 1200 Bucks or 62 (Read 684 times) previous topic - next topic

1200 Bucks or 62

Well as most might know we work on just about every car imaginable. So when the A8 was towed in for a dead battery and  for an auto lock repair it is different from conventional systems. It not only uses electric release it also uses a VACUUM PUMP SYSTEM. Now with that you have to understand the system. The trunk release is dun by the key and also by vacuum and electric. The GERMANS ARE WAY OUT THERE WITH THEIR DESIGNS. So with limited amounts of info on this i dug in and found that the trunk release worked by the KEY FAB but not with anything else. Another words it would open with the trunk button on the fab but not the door open or lock feature on the fab or from any other buttons in the car. So guess who got the JOB IN THE SHOP???? ME!!!! So the car had a dead battery and the key and tumbler would not open the trunk. NOW WHAT??? The battery is in the TRUNK and removing the seat is very hard. So i rigged up a cigarette lighter adapter to my jumper pack and back fed the system. Pushed all the opener buttons. NG the pride of the GERMANS would not let me in the trunk!! So what to do!!! I asked JR to help and he said DAD you have to hold the TRUNK BUTTON ON FOR 15-20 seconds for it to respond!!! So i did and what do you know the trunk opened!!! With that i replaced the battery and took out the tumbler and key assembly. What a night mare!!! 2 micro switches and the switch had more moving parts than a Swiss watch. Needless to say the tumbler was frozen in the assembly. I was able to take it apart with loads of break away and clean all the crud out. Put it back together and what do you know the key worked. But not the auto locks!! So come to find out the vacuum pump is in the trunk and when i keyed the trunk lock you could hear it run!!! So that worked i thought!!! But what if it was running and not making vacuum??? Ripping in to the the trunk interior and another nightmare i found the pump. So i removed the hoses and what do you know NO VACUUM. So a new pump is in order. BUT the cost !!! 800 BUCKS. So i searched the internet and found a pump repair kit for 62 bucks plus shipping. I am always hesitant to do this but this was a winner. Yesterday the pump came and i installed it and it worked perfectly. So with rebuilding the tumbler and the pump my repair cost was 62 dollars for parts and saved the customer loads of money. I was happy the customer was happy and all was good in the world of the pride of the GERMAN MACHINE!!!
The internet is a great tool for not only info but a vast amount of good cheap parts and services.

The key tumbler assembly  was 400 bucks from the dealer and the pump 800.

So fixing the tumbler and rebuilding the pump was a winner!!

You can see the original pump impeller disintegrated

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

1200 Bucks or 62

Reply #1
A8 eh?

well in my jy runs ill have to look for one of those.
that pump would make a good shop tool.

1200 Bucks or 62

Reply #2
Jay i think most all VW models use them Not 100%
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!