Topic: 13-14 gallon tank? (Read 2873 times) previous topic - next topic

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #15
ummm where exactly?
or
What should I look for?

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #17
You mean this thing? There are two "caps", one with letters and one with numbers. There is only 1 hose attached (the letters side).

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #18
Yep, that's it. One bolt holds it onto the mount on the frame (I think it's 8mm). The missing cap may indicate that it's shot. You'll find out as soon as it's in your hand.

I used to laugh at the people in the big SUVs at the gas station. Now that I'm getting only 10 mpg .... I just ... wanna cry.
I'm getting 17mpg with my Mountaineer (V8, AWD) in the city, and 22mpg on the highway. Then again, I only fill it up once a month. :flip: ;)

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #19
I appreciate that. I'll take it off in a sec. I'm in the middle of trying to break free one of my o2 sensors. I have the tool and my ratchet just can't get it. (any ideas?)

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #20
A few years ago I replaced my stock tank with a replacement unit from a local auto supply house and it looked very much like the stocker. The plastic pan that the tank sits in fit perfect, the holding straps fit just like before, the pump is all the way to the floor of the tank. The only differance I noticed was the internal construction of the fuel box(?) that is supposed to keep the pump submerged/supplied all the time. 
Last night I finished putting my empty tank back into the car which was out for some fuel pump issues. I had a full 5 gallon can that I dumped into the tank. I started the car and went to the local gas bandits which was only 4.3 miles. I filled the tank and it took 21.723 gallons! Considering I had just put 5 gallons in and only drove a few miles, I have to estimate my tank capacity at around 26-26.5 gallons. I have no leaks and my tune is spot on. I don't know how they squeezed a larger capacity into what appears to be a similar size tank.
Last year when I installed my 255 pump it took a similar amount but I didn't think much of it.
Rick
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1988 T/C body with a 5.0 transplant. Motor has a Vortech V-2 supercharger, Edlebrock Performer RPM II intake, heads, FRPP F-303 cam, Comp Cams roller rockers, Power Pipe, LMAF, full Mac exhaust, lowered, Koni's, 5 lug conversion, Cobra wheels, 13" Cobra brakes, etc.
SOLD September 2020. Will miss this car after 19 years of building/driving/showing it off. Time for a new chapter in my life.
Dynoed 446 horse/409 torque at the wheels.
2003 Tenth Anniversary Cobra Convertible. 1 of 369 Torch Red made.
2021 Chevrolet 3500 dually, crew cab Duramax.

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #21
I just looked in my 1988 car shop manuals for our cars. It says the 3.8 and 5.0l cars hold 71.2l or 18.8 gallons. The 2.3l turbo with A4LD holds 83.7l or 22.1 gallons. The normal 2.3l turbo (manual i presume) holds 68.1l or 18.0 gallons. Hope this helps.

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #22
The stock 1986-88 gas tanks on 3.8 and 5.0 cars was 22.1 gallons. That same capacity tank was also used on 1987-88 Turbo Coupes. The older turbo cars (1983-86) got the 18-gallon tank. The 1983-85 3.8 and 5.0 cars got a 20.6 gallon tank.

So let's assume that the original tank in this car was 22.1 gallons. If the stock replacement tank has the same capacity then the first fill should probably take a little more fuel than "normal". And you have to figure around 1 gallon in the filler neck. Don't forget that there are some internal baffles in the tank that will hold fuel.

In that instance, I don't think a 25-gallon fill-up would be abnormal. But when you're talking almost another 2 gallons, not so sure about that. How accurate is the fuel pump that you used? When was the last time it was inspected and/or calibrated? Was it from a national supplier or a local mom-and-pop gas station? Especially with fuel being so high in price now, fixing or gouging at the pump is probably going to become more prevalent. Locally there is one known gas station that has a faulty pump; as soon as you lift the handle but before you start pumping, the price shoots up to ~50¢. This could be unintentional...or it could be on purpose.

So what I'm saying is, you would need another known-capacity fuel tank to fill at the same pump at the same station to know whether or not it's an accurate fill. It could be the pump/station being off in calibration or intentially rigged.

Or your tank could really hold ~27 gallons. Which, again, I would find a little difficult to believe. I don't know of a Fox fuel tank that was larger than 22.1 gallons for the mid-1980's cars. Anyone else know?

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #23
I personally have put a bit over 20 gallons in my car that was pretty dang low.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #24
One time I was driving, running pretty low on gas, so headed towards a gas station.  I ran out and luckily coasted into the station right up to a pump (from a freeway exit ramp, through a green light).  IIRC I put in right at 19 gallons (late production 85 TC), completely empty to topped off.

Also, if the gas gauge doesn't provide a near linear progression, try changing the sender.  The factory sender read full until the tank was about half empty.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #25
Not to hi jack a thread but is the charcoal canister available anywhere. I noticed the one on my kids car is rather damp looking.

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #26
I'm going to have to check mine.
I remember putting at least 25 gallons in my cougar when it was a daily driver.I also remember spending about $30 to fill it when I just bought it in 89. I thing gas was about $1.20 back then.
I also remember the guy I got it from saying that it had a larger tank then the rest of the cars. He said it was requested by the original owner, because he was a salesman, and used the car for a lot of traveling. I also se the tank on the ground pulling into most driveways. Does anyone else have this problem?
We'll see in a few weeks when I drop the tank.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #27
i've noticed that the fuel pump clicks off at different times with mine, depending where i fill up..... some pumps actually have stopped and i've been able to add as much as 3 more gallons.....  it's amazing how much more you notice things like that at $3.79 a gallon :)

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #28
i think its the ed station pumps. lol

trying to screw us out of 3 gallons

13-14 gallon tank?

Reply #29
wow, revived an old thread, lol.  What size were the Mrk. VII tanks?
1987 TC