Skip to main content
Topic: Huzzah! (since we can't change thread titles) (Read 3492 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Huzzah! (since we can't change thread titles)

Reply #15
Man, I am BEAT. Been up since 12:30 AM, and it's almost 10 PM now.

Didn't get the car here.. ze 5.0, she be spitting oil into the intake. I MIGHT be able to get away with going down there this weekend with a fresh set of plugs and seeing how far I can get, but I am more likely going to look into options for asking friends to help tow it here.

The paint's shot, (it's that dark blue that I always see screwed up on Fords) the (leather) interior is also shot, the dash is pretty badly cracked, and there's a dent in the driver's door/quarter panel region. Other than that, it has less rust than my current Bird.. he's had new tires, U-joints, a radiator, and a couple other things put on it. We also got the window functioning temporarily.. the window came out of those glued-on clips. We set it back in them for now, and rolled it up 99.9% of the way. Didn't want the top seal to hold it in too tightly, to make it easier to roll down again when it's time to move it, if we should have to.

After having looked at this car all day, I think it screams PROJECT CAR.. and I think it would probably be better for me to just work on building that one up into what I want it to be, and fixing up my current Bird to be a solid mundane daily driver. I realize the 5.0 probably has to come out of the second car.. might as well make the most of it.

Notes on the car:

- Both power seats work, even the power recline. Need to be reupholstered, though.
- Needs new carpet, or a very good cleaning of the old. Didn't check under mats.
- Power mirrors are functioning properly.
- More interior lights than mine.. whee. More bulbs to replace.
- Both window motors work, just need to fix that glue problem.
- Full digital dash, seems to be in working order.. but REALLY dim unless you turn the lights on. Is this from the auto-dimmer stuff? I don't have it on my first Bird.
- Exhaust is in better condition than mine.
- PS pump was dry when I got there, but took and held fluid and seemed to function properly.
- AC supposedly works, but needs recharge. Immaterial for the moment if I do a swap, though.
- Already has an aftermarket stereo.. an Alpine cassette player. Probably history at some point.

Sorry if I'm rambling.. so tired I can barely think. Yes, worse than usual. :p Just hoping to get a lot of this down before I go to bed.

Was I most likely correct in guessing that oil being blown through the PCV (I am guessing it is.. that tube out of the side of the oil filler.. sorry, never even seen a 5.0 engine up close, as odd as that sounds) into the intake was probably due to bad rings on at least one cylinder?

Re: Huzzah! (since we can't change thread titles)

Reply #16
Slept 12 hours recovering from yesterday.. and I have a pretty good sunburn going now.. but I don't really mind too much. Please ignore what I said about the rings, at least until I can get an answer in Engine Tech about this whole PCV setup.