Skip to main content
Topic: Android or iPhone? (Read 4921 times) previous topic - next topic

Android or iPhone?

Reply #15
I agree with Erics statement.  Beyond The iphone, the computers cannot be repaired unless u fork over ARM and leg.  Apple charges $300 cores.  So almost no used parts or refurbished unless Steve says so.

That reason alone I won't buy Apple computers.  IPhone or iPad I could maybe possibly buy.

Travis

Android or iPhone?

Reply #16
I'm self-employed. The phone will be a lynch pin for my business, so I want to choose wisely.

I forgot to reply to your question in my response, sorry about that LOL.

Are you accepting credit cards as a POP or replacing a standalone credit card machine?
If so, Square is the way to go...it's for iOS or Android:
https://squareup.com/card-reader

Also, you might want to spend some time perusing the app stores for Apple and Android to see what you'll need.
There is amazing parity between the stores for a lot of things. But one necessary app might make or break your decision. (Or game. LOL)

Last, there's a great way to get bonus perks that you might be able to use for your business.
I purchase iTunes gift cards at our regional grocery chain (Giant Eagle). For every $50 spent at the grocery store, 10¢ is acspoogeulated to redeem on gasoline at their gas pumps.
I've earned $2 off/gallon sometimes. Makes for a sweet fill-up with the Mountaineer.
And then I use the iTunes card for the app store or music or the Apple TV, or whatever.
I have no credit card linked to iTunes so that, if the account were to get hacked, the most anyone would get is $30 or so, and not my credit card info.

You might also be able to earn frequent-flyer miles or bonus miles this way too.

Just something to consider. Every penny counts when you own your own business.

Android or iPhone?

Reply #17
Overall my experiences with apple have been good.

Every time I was up for a upgrade with AT&T I always bought the latest iPhone and sold our oldest iphone on ebay.  So far that has worked for me.  I upgrade to iPhone 4 for $199, gave wife the 3gs and sold her iPhone 3G for $350 December 2010.  Than this year i upgraded to the 4s ($169 at radioshack lol at christmas time), sold the 3GS 16GB iPhone last January for $260.  So when the iPhone 5 comes out, I'll give the wife my 4s and sell her iPhone 4 on ebay and I'll more than likely get $200+ for that one.  So yeah its an upgrade game and if you don't mind playing musical phones every 2 years and keeping your plan the same than I think its a win win,  wife doesn't care.. restore from iTunes she back.

The iPad (1G) made me mad but than again it did run slow with 5.1.1 so going to iOS 6 with the iPad1 was gonna be rough.  My macbook late 2008 doesn't owe me a dime, we use the  out of it and it works perfectly.. actually even better since I put a SSD in it.  My 17" macbook pro mid 2009 runs great too, also with SSD and 8 GB ram,  I hope to use the 17" for the next 3 years.  My hackintosh runs circles around most computers (i7, over clocked to 4Ghz, dual boots to win7, awesome video card, I've ran many VMs with parallels simultaneously and this thing is rock solid)

So for $19.99 i'll be going to mountain lion tomorrow and upgrading all three to the latest OS.. can't beat it with a stick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Android or iPhone?

Reply #18
First of all I am not tech savy at all, but I do have a Iphone 4s (my 1st smart phone) and really like it.  A couple of guys at work have the droids and they seem pretty nice too, but I do prefer the screen and the operation of my phone better.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Android or iPhone?

Reply #19
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. - Stevecutus of AppleBorg

Android or iPhone?

Reply #20
Quote from: 50tbrd88;394878
First of all I am not tech savy at all, but I do have a Iphone 4s (my 1st smart phone) and really like it.  A couple of guys at work have the droids and they seem pretty nice too, but I do prefer the screen and the operation of my phone better.

An iPhone is not a smartphone. Apple calls it one for marketing, people call it one because they don't know any better.  iPhone is an overbuilt glorified feature phone.  A phone made for people who couldn't be bothered to figure out or learn to operate a real smartphone, the blissfully ignorant and the steadfastly inept (most of Apple's customer base).  Real smartphones: Android, Blackberry, older Symbian phones (Nokia), Windows phone, older Windows mobile phones (barely).  There are things my old Nextel i870 could do that an iPhone cannot.  A Nextel, I'm totally serious.  There's no app for freedom of use, either.  Jailbreak: should you really have to?  Should you have to give up your warranty to be able to use the device the way YOU want to?  And the iPhone's feature phone status is purely by choice on Apple's part. 
The hardware isn't even the problem, the hardware is actually really good, it's the software and the corporate attitude.

Android or iPhone?

Reply #21
Wow, I really don't care if my phone is an smartphone, feature phone, megaphone, or what.  I like my iphone.  It calls people!  I can get on the internet!  I have a ebay and a craigslist app to look at cars!  Works well for me.  I guess I'm "steadfastly inept"...or maybe "blissfully ignorant"?  Mostly I just could care less if it says Apple or Samsung or what as long as it does the above few things.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Android or iPhone?

Reply #22
It seems to me like they're all good phones.  :)
William

Android or iPhone?

Reply #23
Apple makes products for their select fanbase. You can't upgrade their products without going through them, you pay and arm and a leg for good products but like Eric said they only have a certain life span. The Android phones alos have a lifespan to them, but it is considerably larger. I have had every generation of ipod, and for it's purposes it was very useful. I bought the Motorola Razr a week after release and I absolutely love it. With an Otter Box it is still thinner than almost any phone that doesn't have a case. I can do anything I want on it, and I have the option to upgrade my SD card which already gives me 32gb of memory. I use it for music at work and in the car. I use it for youtube, ebay and most of my internet browsing. Plus I know that it will still be a very useful phone til my upgrade and even after that point. I am very rough on electronics and especially being a welder and having it in my pocket, this thing takes a hell of a beating and still works great. I'm not say an iPhone is horrible, but dealing witht he limitations because of their own software and compatability with Apple products only I will choose and Android any day. Also fixing/ replacing an android phone is alot easier. My iPod Touch had a bad digitizer screen and 2 years later Apple still sends me the wrong replacement part even with all of the info of the device. I gave up and my Razr has a better playback for music anyway.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Android or iPhone?

Reply #24
I don't get the Apple hate (ok - I hate iTunes!). Android in practice isn't exactly "open" to the user. Just the OEMs. Whom in turn lock it down like a promiscuous daughter. That root/OTA update song and dance I did with my Droid X was painfully not what I perceive as "open". My Razr does what I want, how I want, and when I want, but isn't a simple process and involves several apps (most of which require root).

If you want a rock solid SMARTPHONE inside and out get the iPhone.

If you must have Android (4G is awesome!), I tell all my friends to stick with top of the line phones from Samsung and Moto. Sometimes HTC. Go Nexus if your carrier supports it. Low end phones get next to no dev support. Some apps can be almost unusable. If you want root you are on your own (have fun!). Even my Droid X was all but abandoned by devs after a couple years. It was one of the reasons why I upgraded. I am hoping my Razr will last longer than two years in OEM support. By contrast the iPhone 3GS, released a year before the Droid X, is still receiving updates. :/

My Razr is leaps and bounds better than my Droid X. Which in turn was leaps and bounds better than my gawd awful Blackberry Storm (I shipped that POS to Turkey!). Which was a step backwards from my WinMo phone. Almost all phones are eclipsed by the next release.

You really can't go wrong these days. iOS. Android. WP7. Well... except for Blackberry. They deserve everything that is happening to them.

Good luck!
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Android or iPhone?

Reply #25
Quote from: Ether947;394918
I don't get the Apple hate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17058508

They patented the slide to unlock feature. It would be like Ford patenting the the ignition switch and key.

They also have a patent on rectangular devices with a wedge design. Which would be like Ford patenting rectangular vehicles with four wheels. Now I'm a huge Ford fan but one of the reasons they are producing great products today is because of the competition from Toyota, Honda, and so forth. If Ford had used a bunch of patents to stifle competition we as consumers would suffer because competition is what drives innovation forward.

To answer OP's question if you already have an Apple comp you might as well get an iPhone. The iPhone is a reliable phone and user friendly, it does however lack 4G (4G is amazing if you haven't tried it yet). I'm sure the iPhone5 will have it though. All of the top Android phones are great up to date phones. To me it is an easy choice but only you actually know what you like. Go to the store and play with some of the devices there. While you are there keep in mind that the way the display Android phones are, the phones UI is not permanent you can change them to however you like.

Best wishes with whichever you decide. :D
...and there was light!

Android or iPhone?

Reply #26
Just made the jump to Android (Ice Cream Sandwich), and I was wondering if since vBulletin (which our little corner of the interwebs is based on) has it's own Android app, we could have one also.  Perhaps they have a App template just as they have a forum template.  This is ChuckW's show, so I hope he's listening.

Android or iPhone?

Reply #27
Actually ChuckW is a moderator. Eric, Baxo and myself are the admins. vBulletin does offer a mobile suite, but it is stupid expensive. The major mobile browsers (Safari, Chrome) render this site just fine (and will do even better in future as mobile screens become more high resolution - the 4S is 960X640, Samsung Galaxy SIII is 1280X720, vBulletin is optimized for 800X600), so buying the mobile version doesn't seem wise.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Android or iPhone?

Reply #28
I use Mozilla on my HTC (Droid OS) and have no problems with this site or any other forum. There's always stuff like tapatalk and whatnot, too.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Android or iPhone?

Reply #29
I'm sticking with my Palm Pre :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors