Skip to main content
Topic: Android or iPhone? (Read 4958 times) previous topic - next topic

Android or iPhone?

Reply #30
I have a LG Vu Cu920 thats about 5 years old, just a feature phone, for me a phone is a device to text/call people, that's all i really need to do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Android or iPhone?

Reply #31
If it makes and receives phone calls reliably, doesn't eat batteries and doesn't simply fall apart from general use, I am happy.  All of the other  (features) are extraneous and can only serve to fatten the wallets of the phone companies, while at the same time, unnecessarily complicating my life.  There was life before text messaging, skype, etc.  I know this kinda makes me sound anti-technology, but since I make my living with technology, nothing could be further from the truth.  Instead, I carefully choose which technologies I employ to maximum benefit with as little impact on my life as possible. If it ain't broke, don' fix it. ;)

Android or iPhone?

Reply #32
Just an update...I did end up getting an iPhone 5 (32GB). Ordered it the first day possible and Apple delivered it about 11 days after the launch, shipped from China. Just tracking the package was something else LOL.

PLUSSES
Since I am already deeply entrenched into the Apple ecosystem, the iPhone was the most logical choice for me. I've had no problems adapting to it. It works just like the iPad. What really had me concerned was the call quality, as I hadn't really heard much about it either way. Fortunately it's been very, VERY solid (3 microphones help quite a bit), and the speakerphone option is also quite good. It seems to lock on to calls a LOT better than any of my past phones; haven't dropped one yet and I'm on AT&T, so that's saying quite a bit LOL. And I've got to say, this phone is F-A-S-T. Absolutely nothing is slow or sluggish. It does have 4G which is a great help for OTA web surfing. Not a lot of apps yet but I am spending more at the App Store than before. And no need to reboot after almost a month of constant use.

MINUSES
I'm still not a fan of the on-screen keyboard and hope to get an attachable physical keyboard as soon as they're available. But for now it's OK...just making a lot of corrections. I did not have any previous iPhones so I can't say I "notice" the larger screen but it is definitely a nice, decent-sized display. Still, it's noticeably smaller than the Android competition. I put my entire phone over the screen of my brother's current (old) Android phone, and there was a little room around the edge still! But the iPhone is not a huge, honking beast that's too big for a pocket either. I like the size.

OVERALL
The iPhone 5 is not the be-all, end-all of civilization like a lot of people seem to be claiming (IT'S JUST A FREAKING PHONE, PEOPLE!)—but it is a very solidly built phone. It does seem to exude quality. I'm very happy with it and would recommend it if it's in your lifestyle/budget.

My brother's current Android phone is getting long in the tooth. It's almost 2 years old and despite updating and rooting it, it continues to give him fits. Constant rebooting, remove/replace the battery, getting too hot, spontaneous shutdowns, etc. I think it's probably a battery issue, if I were to guess. He's eyeing something newer so I'm anxious to see if that solves his current problems, plus I'll get to play around with the newer hardware and OS. I did recently set up a newer Android phone for a client and it was also very fast, seemed to be pretty logical, and I saw no real usability issues. It wasn't "me" per se, but it was perfectly usable.

I think either way you're going to get a good phone, but with Android phones, you definitely get what you pay for. If you can spring for a name brand then it's going to perform much, much better. Avoid the lower end ones like the plague.

Anyway, just my humble observation.

Android or iPhone?

Reply #33
I just got the Galaxy S3. I had iPhones for the last 4-5 years.  I feel my 4G iPhone was easier to use. It's a phone primarily and a method to peep the web secondary.  The Galaxy S3 absolutely eats battery power. It lasts barely 7 hours with moderate use. I don't play any games. Only calls, text and some web. However the screen is bigger than the entire iPhone almost. Just my 2 cents. I might go back to an iPhone.

Leon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1962 Thunderbird convertible
1971 Mustang Mach1 429SCJ

Android or iPhone?

Reply #34
I had a I phone 3G and now a 4S and have been a mac user since the mid 80's.  Its a great device, and a great OS but that doesn't mean there aren't other good phones out there as well.  I stick with Apple for the sync features and Icloud with all my mac devices...phone, laptop, tower etc......it just made sense for me.  I know some android users who swear by there phones.  To each their own, and whatever you are comfortable working with.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Android or iPhone?

Reply #35
I like androids, have had one for about 4 or 5 years now.

I wish nokia would go android. I have loved every nokia I have ever touched, but refuse to use a microsoft based os again. I can do everything on my phone that I could do on a computer, with very few exceptions. That beaig said, one reason I dislike the iphone, is that although they have a strong fanbase, I don't feel they are near as adaptable. However, the apps seem to operate better on an iphone, and don't have quite as many bugs.

My honest feelings for my adroid, I can't take a piss without charging my phone. The newer programs have way to many user permissions for 3rd party apps, and severly drian batters whenever data is enabled on the phone. If I leave just my data connection (edge/3g) on constantly through out the day, my battery can be completely dead within 12 hours of no use. If I turn off the data (still receiving texts and calls), the phone is generally 89-90% by the the end of the day. Using heavier programs, such as netflix, my phone will actually discharge rather then charge while using it. Certain programs are not stable, and will crash for no reason constantly. The phone will also start to get slow and buggy after 2-3 days of little use and requires a restard.

When using the phone, I can completely discharge it within 1 hour depending on my settings. I think apple really has the edge here.

However, once you weed out good programs and apps, and get the must haves, I can do more on my phone then I could imagine. Another thing I love, is you can get a full qwerty keyboard on almost any style phone. However, I still long for a simple nokia brick that will go 6 days between charges, and always work, no matter what the cirspoogestances.

If I could get an old style nokia with a java enabled browser and limited apps, I would be perfectly happy. For now I deal with my $100 phone that I can do just about anything on, bit I have 4 chargers and use them religiously. I have one in my bdroom, one by the entrance, one by the tv, and one in my car, that I bring to work.

I would give up quite a few features for a decent battery life, although I severly overuse and abuse my phone, and it has held up well for the 13months I have used it for everything. I have dropped it 40ft off of a telephone pole onto pavement, drop kicked it down the stairs, and dropped it countless times, poppng the case and battery apart.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Android or iPhone?

Reply #36
Quote from: MY83T;400535
I had a I phone 3G and now a 4S and have been a mac user since the mid 80's.  Its a great device, and a great OS but that doesn't mean there aren't other good phones out there as well.  I stick with Apple for the sync features and Icloud with all my mac devices...phone, laptop, tower etc......it just made sense for me.  I know some android users who swear by there phones.  To each their own, and whatever you are comfortable working with.

Yeah I'm the same way. My daughter is 6 and has my old iphone 4 that I set up for her as an ipod touch. So she can communicate over wifi with me and my wife through iMessage and facetime.  This really comes in handy when she sleeps over my parents house or in-laws. 

I usually get a new iPhone evey year and I trickle done the others and sell whats left and that usually covers the new phone.  This year I got the 5, wife got the 4s that I had and my daughter got the 4.  I sold the 3GS that my daughter was playing with for $180. I was going to sell the 4 but really wanted my kid to have facetime and the better camera/video on the 4 etc.. plus she reads in her room with the flashlight app at night so she uses the  out of all the features..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Android or iPhone?

Reply #37
I just wanted to thank you guys for all the great feedback.  I bought a Galaxy Note 2 recently and can see why Android has so many fans here.  I love this thing.  Thanks again for your help guys.
William