Skip to main content
Topic: No Brake Lights (Read 2314 times) previous topic - next topic

No Brake Lights

I have a 1987 Turbo Coupe. I was out driving and noticed my right hand turn signal was acting funky. I found the bulb that wasn't working and jiggled the wires on it. That fixed the turn signals and they operate just fine, so do the rest of the tail lamps.
However, I have no hazard lights or brake lights. Fuses 4 and 15 are intact and the switch has continuity. Would a bad flasher relay cause the brake lights to no longer function?
Any ideas are appreciated, thank you. 

Re: No Brake Lights

Reply #1
Check the brake light switch under the dash connected to the brake pedal.  My wire was corroded and not connected well.
Mike

Reply #2
Power to the brake lights run thru the multi function switch (turn signal)
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Check the brake light switch under the dash connected to the brake pedal.  My wire was corroded and not connected well.
I'll dig into it more, but when I tested the outside contacts for continuity and it seemed to be fine. It just puzzles me how there are no hazards (4 way flashers). I'd think if the brake switch was bad it would only affect brake lights, right?
Power to the brake lights run thru the multi function switch (turn signal)
I'll look for a replacement if nothing else is the issue. It controls hazards too right?

Reply #4
When my brake lights were out on an 88 I bought, only the center lamp brake light worked when you pressed the brake.

There are diodes in the turn signal so it doesnt backfeed into the turn signal switch so that when you press the brake it still flashes.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Fuse #1 powers the hazard flasher and the brake pedal switch.